PDA

View Full Version : What can't I do when I hook Apex to bridge router?

Hextall
07/28/2011, 08:51 AM
Much to my surprise, I was able to configure a second linksys router (with DDWRT) last night and set it to bridge routing mode. I hooked up my apex, and it works. I'm as shocked as you.

So what are the limitations of having it like this? is it just that to initally configure and set up networking on the apex, a wired connection to my primary router is preferable? or is there other stuff I can't do?

I assume firmware updates still should be done via wired connection between apex and a computer, right?

thanks

RussM
07/28/2011, 01:05 PM
You can always try doing a firmware update over that link, but I doubt it will work.

The only other limitation I can think of is that it is another device you will need to provide with backup power so that the Apex can send alarm emails if there is a power loss.

Hextall
07/28/2011, 01:11 PM
You can always try doing a firmware update over that link, but I doubt it will work.

The only other limitation I can think of is that it is another device you will need to provide with backup power so that the Apex can send alarm emails if there is a power loss.

thanks. Thinking about it, I realized that the setup isn't different than having it wired into my primary router anyway.

This just means I'm going to have to program a virtual outlet to hide my credit card bill.