PDA

View Full Version : Info on Caracanthus madagascariensis "Velvet fish"

jholt1320
07/28/2011, 04:34 PM
I just got a mated pair from the DD today and would like a little more info.
I know that they hide alot but they are going in a tank of their own "29gal"
Whats the min. tank size for these guys? I have see 10-30gal min?

FMarini
07/28/2011, 07:34 PM
the common names for these are coral crouchers. Yes- they are scorpionfish and yes in the family velvetfish.
From what i know these guys tend to hide amongst the branches of acropora corals and dart out only for food. I have heard stories of folks putting them in their tanks and never seeing them again.
I believe your 29 gal tank will be fine for them.

jholt1320
07/29/2011, 08:57 AM
I have a catpaw coral skeleton ffor them to hide in.Should i feed them 3 times a week like some of the other scorpionfish?

Stumped
07/29/2011, 01:46 PM
Try to feed them daily. I don't think a lot of people have much luck with these fish long term because they end up being cryptic and rather difficult to feed. I wanted to get one a while back, but couldn't find anyone having success with them.

I know the users Bongo Shrimp and namxas have both had them before. I'm not sure if they still have any, but you could search from some of their posts regarding them for some more information.

jholt1320
07/29/2011, 05:01 PM
thank you i will look :)

AuroraDrvr
07/29/2011, 09:04 PM
Being a species only aquarium, I think you'll end up have a little better success than most.

namxas
07/31/2011, 12:33 AM
These fish really don't do well in typical "community" setups, altho they do well with other low-key fish...ours roomed with our fu manchu lionfish for quite awhile.

It was pretty cryptic, but became a solid stick feeder, however, I can't say we were" successful" with this fish because we were unable to keep it for at least a year.

It preferred a little rock crevice to a coral skeleton, and would dart out and take morsels from our "stealth stick". It did indeed learn when feeding days were, and would be waiting for us as we made the rounds of all the tanks.

HTH

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

namxas
07/31/2011, 11:16 AM
Here are the links:

Tools of the Trade: Equipment & Techniques to Convert your Fish onto Frozen (http://www.lionfishlair.com/feedingtechniques/toolsofthetrade.shtml)

Here's a little vid showing our croucher feeding:

Coral Croucher Snacking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSQuNeJPhU)

That's most likely the most you'll see of them.

jholt1320
07/31/2011, 03:20 PM
yeah I read alot on them before I even found them for sale but its nice to hear what others think. Did you feed your guy 3 times a week or everyday? I hope being together and a tank all to themselves they might be happier :)

http://aquariumadventures.blogspot.com/2009/02/caring-for-caracanthus.html

namxas
08/01/2011, 10:48 AM
Once the fish got with the program, it was fed 3x a week. At first, you just need to get them eating for you.

jholt1320
08/01/2011, 08:07 PM
thank you for you help :)

seahorsedreams
08/02/2011, 08:24 AM
The video of ours above I call "Have you seen my Coral Croacher?.... me neither!"

We'll try one again in the future when things get settled. A year after moving and we still have fish in temporary tanks. Moving suxs.

Unless DD says it's a mated pair, it isn't. They are just 2 fish that got along together while in their care. They may or may not be the same sex. Time will only tell.

jholt1320
08/02/2011, 01:28 PM
I just got them today :D in QT right now with lights off and fake corsl to hide under. They are soooo tiny, about dime size. I will try feeding tomorrow. The DD said fancy coral croucher mated pair, so I hope they are. I would hate to rehome if they started to fight. They have another pair for sale on DD tonight. Wow did you guys move your own tanks? I moved my 90 myself just once lol I will pay someone to move my tanks now when the time comes lol

namxas
08/02/2011, 01:50 PM
Yes...it took us 4 days to move all of the tanks. i was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO done with the hobby after that. It really took me awhile to get "the passion" back after so much trouble.

jholt1320
08/02/2011, 02:27 PM
I can see that, moving tanks oe even big tanks are horrible work. I just read my invoice and it said pair not mated pair....... Lol crap well mabey I will luck out and they will get along.