PDA

View Full Version : how much water movement for 55 gal???

felixfish
07/29/2011, 08:22 AM
I recently set up my 55 gal tank. I have a Hydor Koralia 3 powerhead fan, Cascade HOB filter, and a protien skimmer. Do you think i'm gonna need another fan? Seems as it the circulation is decent, but slower in the far corner. I don't have any coral yet, just two clowns and a royal dotty back.

Sugar Magnolia
07/29/2011, 08:29 AM
Flow will depend upon what you are planning to keep. If it's going to be a fish only tank, that flow is aadequate. If you plan to keep corals, especially SPS you'll need to increase the flow.

felixfish
07/29/2011, 08:38 AM
Well that brings me to my next question (:-D) I have a Coralife 10K bulb and the blue bulb. Am I pretty much looking at soft corals? I've only had my tank up and running maybe a month now. Do you have to wait to introduce corals into the tank as well? I'd really like to get something for my clown fish to swim in.

Ron Reefman
07/29/2011, 11:21 AM
You probably have enough light for zoas and palys. You'll want more of bigger softies and LPS. I suspect you will want at least one more powerhead. Two might even be better and then you could hook them up to a varialble timer like a Red Sea Wavemaker (I think Hydor makes one as well). That will make water movement much more random and change currents all over the tank. If your tank is cycled I'd get a basic easy coral and try it. It should do fine. If you are thinking of an anemone for the clowns, don't do it! You need more light, maybe a lot more light. And anemones are much fussier about light and flow. Also remember that they can move around on their own. My Rose Bubble Tip just started moving after being in one spot for 7 months! Your clowns don't NEED and anemone and may not even host in one even if they are given the chance. I have 6 clowns 4 use anemones all the time, one visits an anemone once in a while and one never goes near an anemone.

cloak
07/29/2011, 02:14 PM
Here's a good article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/4/beginner