PDA

View Full Version : Purigen in BRS Dual GFO and Carbon Reactor

fiji4118
07/29/2011, 01:28 PM
Thinking about picking up a BRS dual reactor. I have been reading about the possible link between carbon and HLLE and I have purple tang that does have HLLE. It has gotten worse since I have increased my carbon usage. Diet is great as he eats everything (algae sheets, 3 types of Ocean Nutrition flake, New Life Spectrum pellets and frozen all soaked in Selcon, garlic, and Brightwell Amino and vitamins) and seems normal otherwise. So I am wondering if I anyone has used the Purigen instead of the carbon? Perhaps changing to a pellet carbon? I am currently using a granular carbon in a filter bag and there is always a lot of dust regardless of how much you rinse.

talon4x4
07/29/2011, 01:31 PM
Have you considering trying the BRS Rox .08 carbon?? It has virtually no dust!! A great product IMHO. I don't have a tang so I can't comment on whether or not it will cause HLLE anymore or less than any other carbon.

fiji4118
07/29/2011, 02:17 PM
definitely looking at that if folks think that it should remain carbon/gfo over purigen/gfo

Psyops
07/29/2011, 02:31 PM
I use the large pellets and GFO from BRS. Fish seem to do better on larger pellets. I even have pods growing in there. I only use 1.5 cups of carbon in my 180. Change once a month. Hope this helps.