PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Suggested for 750 gallon Reef

Reefing Newbie
07/30/2011, 12:56 AM
Down the road after I am out of college and have a steady cash flow, I plan on building a 750 gallon reef(120x48x30). I need advice as to what kind of equipment/how much I will need for it. For starters, how big of a sump is suggested, I was thinking in the range of 180 to 220 gallon? I guess I don't really know where to go from there besides the need for skimmers, reactors, temperature control... Any pointers on what kind of skimmers and reactors would work best would be helpful. There will defiantly be lots of LR and sand. I am planning on including the fuge in the sump. Also, how would lighting work? I am not sure if I should go with 4X 5ft LED fixtures or going with several 4ft fixtures to line up across the tank. Any other tips would be great so I could get my estimates on cost going :rollface:

discus510
07/30/2011, 01:58 PM
i would say get a house before plannin on such a big tank so u can see if u will be able to make a place to house equipments

Reefing Newbie
07/30/2011, 02:16 PM
I am just trying to get an idea on equipment and how to setup so I can look at houses that will be able to fit the tank. The tank is definantly a dream tank which money is being saved up for it. I want to buy a house to fit the tank more so than the tank fitting in the house I buy as it will be my last tank other than having it and equip replaced as age takes effect on it.

snorvich
07/30/2011, 03:22 PM
You might consider having your first tank up and running first.

dahenley
07/30/2011, 03:25 PM
where are you planning on moving?
i ask, because a lot of California people are using ATB pumps, RedDragon skimmers, and Tunze/Vortech pumps, and LED lights.

i say this because Electricity is SUPER EXPENSIVE.

if your on the east coast where electricity isnt as high, you can do any skimmer. (lots of people like the Performance of the Becketts (PM XL 4's and up) or the large MRC becketts or MRC ocean force dart needlewheel. pumps. (PM make one now)

MH's and closed loops and Tunze/Vortech's.

this way is cheaper up front, but will cost a little more in electricity. so, there are lots of ways to do things.

Look at the 500gal, bennytheblenny 900 gal build and "how i spent my daughters inharitance 700gal build by reefski"

those are nice builds with all different skimming/lighting/and equipment.

the 1350 canadian build is nice.... but SUPER LONG
and the large tank in china (chingchi) or something like that is a sweet build also.

(sorry for the names and miss spelling.... i cant open multiple windows on my old phone..)

if you skim and look over those, you will have answered all your questions.

snorvich
07/30/2011, 04:17 PM
And, of course by the time it is relevant for the OP, all current day equipment will be obsolete.

Reefing Newbie
07/30/2011, 04:37 PM
I am needing a little bit more of how many skimmers, pumps and that sort of thing. snorvich, I am planning ahead as I barley have my first one up and am already having troubles with the fish I initially planned for lol. I am doing it more so as something to get my estimates going aside from tank and stand. I do plan on moving to either Phoenix or San Diego. Not to be mean or start a fight with you snorvich, but are you stalking all of my posts or my personal guidence counselor? Like I said not to be mean or start a fight, just curious as you have posted in most of my threads. I am just trying to get info on these things. Thanks for the pointers to the threads dahenley.

snorvich
07/30/2011, 06:40 PM
I read hundreds of posts a day as part of what I do so I am hardly stalking you; I do note a bit of stubbornness and attitude as I have previously told you. My advice to you is to focus on what you are doing now since by the time you can afford and are ready for a 750 gallon tank the equipment available will have changed. When you post on RC you ask for advice which I am giving you. I can assure you that you would not want me as your personal guidance counselor nor could you afford to do so. On the other hand trolling is not an acceptable thing here. For a reef tank of the size you are thinking of, assume about $100 per gallon for all items including stocking. In current dollars, of course. However by the time you are ready, all equipment will have changed and the nominal value of the dollar will be radically different.

Reefing Newbie
07/30/2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah, putting the 750 aside for now. What is trolling? I am kinda thinking that I should have done one thread for all my questions... But ther is sooo much that comes up at different moments! Plus finding information on specific things here such as the mesh top thing is difficult to do as I get results for every thread that mentions top or mesh within the thread. But whatever, I got pointers as to what threads I should look into from dahenley.

dahenley
07/30/2011, 09:19 PM
there is no 1 RIGHT way to do anything in this hobby....
but, everyone on this board can tell you what didnt work for them....

You can post "whats the best skimmer you can buy" in the equipment forum. 90% of people will say "Bubble King" skimmers!!
of that 90% only 2% actually have a BK skimmer. and of the 10% that mentioned something else, 2% of those had a BK skimmer and had a problem, and will never buy another... because 300+ for a pump if one goes out, and its a foreign company that doesnt have good support in the US.......

I only say this, because when you look at going with the big tank, sometimes support is worth more then the equipment... because SOMETHING will happen. and its only a matter of time. With Tunze, they are foreign, but have great support. if you buy a pump and it bombs on you, they are there to help!! and they idolize their customers and products. (any tunze owner will tell you the same)

SO, Support will beat out "fashion and hype" any time! but, good equipment lessons the chance of problem. just remember this.

(i started out with 90% crap and DIY. did it work, YES. and i kept my 240 going for 2 years with no problems. Then, i started getting "quality" equipment, and it was an improvement, but the fact that i didnt have to adjust and keep messing, and replacing made the hobby that much more enjoyable)

dahenley
07/30/2011, 09:22 PM
oh, the moral......

do as i do, and most other successful people.

Read everything related to what your doing, Take all the advice you can, and in the end..... Do what you want. chances are, you will know what works the best for you. and after a little while, you will be able to read your reef and it will let you know what it needs

Reefing Newbie
07/30/2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up dahenley! I was thinking of maybe stepping way down from the 750 gallon and doing a 300 gallon as my first large reef, as it will be more affordable as well as the fact that it can hold the tangs that I am craving lol. Plus I may luck out with LED tech being better and more perfected that I will not need MH's or T5's so energy costs go down. Steve has a point in saying focus on what you are currenly doing, I was just trying to do this research a little ahead of time so I know what to look for.