PDA

View Full Version : Pepermint Shrimp How to Remove it?

raylost
07/30/2011, 06:27 AM
Hi,

I got four pepermint shrimp that i want to move from my main tank, since they ate all the aiptasia in my tank and now are trying to eat some of my corals.
They hard to catch! Any idea is well appreciate it.

Thanks

Whisperer
07/30/2011, 06:36 AM
It is going to be a challenge to catch them. How big is your tank? A predator like a wrasse, hawkfish or cardinal can remove them for you. :D

Just2Many
07/30/2011, 06:37 AM
Catch at night. Use a Rods food or something bring it out to front with MANY nets behind. No lights just a flashlight.

canrio
07/30/2011, 07:04 AM
Mine come out for a small piece of silverside.

Sk8r
07/30/2011, 07:12 AM
Easy. Take in hand a piece of frozen raw shrimp, cup your hand against the glass and wait for the shrimp. When he goes for the bait, gently close your hand and move the shrimp on.

Wolverine
07/30/2011, 07:18 AM
Take a plastic soda bottle, cut the top off and invert it into the bottle, so it's like a funnel. Put some food inside the bottle, weigh the bottle down and put it somewhere that it will be easy for the peppermints to get to it. The shrimp can easily get in, but they have a hard time finding their way back out. Then you just go and pull out the bottle. Not guaranteed, but a lot less effort, and you can just leave it sitting there overnight, since that's when they'll come out to feed. You may have to do it a few times to get all of them.

Wolverine
07/30/2011, 07:20 AM
Oh, and I'd remove 3 of them, not all 4. You haven't seen any aiptasia, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I've seen many times that people think they're tank is clean, only to find a bunch once they remove the shrimp (or stop paying attention if you're removing them yourself).

raylost
07/30/2011, 08:33 AM
It is going to be a challenge to catch them. How big is your tank? A predator like a wrasse, hawkfish or cardinal can remove them for you. :D

Are those also going to attack other shrimp like coral banded gold.

Thanks

raylost
07/30/2011, 08:34 AM

I will try it, thanks

raylost
07/30/2011, 08:37 AM
Easy. Take in hand a piece of frozen raw shrimp, cup your hand against the glass and wait for the shrimp. When he goes for the bait, gently close your hand and move the shrimp on.

Thanks, i will try that to!

david00061
07/30/2011, 08:37 AM
I didnt think pepermint shrimp would bother the coral

raylost
07/30/2011, 08:41 AM
Take a plastic soda bottle, cut the top off and invert it into the bottle, so it's like a funnel. Put some food inside the bottle, weigh the bottle down and put it somewhere that it will be easy for the peppermints to get to it. The shrimp can easily get in, but they have a hard time finding their way back out. Then you just go and pull out the bottle. Not guaranteed, but a lot less effort, and you can just leave it sitting there overnight, since that's when they'll come out to feed. You may have to do it a few times to get all of them.

Great one! For shore I try this one.

Thanks

Chris27
07/30/2011, 08:44 AM

+1 Remember, a hungry shrimp (they always are) has no fear and will do just about anything to get a bite. I've had them walk across urchins and anemones with ease just for a small piece of food...or large piece!

raylost
07/30/2011, 08:45 AM
I didnt think pepermint shrimp would bother the coral

They have eat some of my zoas, they tend to hand or be to close to frogspawn and hammer.

raylost
07/30/2011, 08:54 AM
Oh, and I'd remove 3 of them, not all 4. You haven't seen any aiptasia, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I've seen many times that people think they're tank is clean, only to find a bunch once they remove the shrimp (or stop paying attention if you're removing them yourself).

My plan if to remove them keep two in my sump and give the other to a friend, thanks!

david00061
07/30/2011, 09:04 AM
I dont think they are eating the corals. They are just eating the debris around them

Lynnmw1208
07/30/2011, 09:09 AM
I used a net, put some pellets in it and waited. they were such pigs that I caught them in no time at all :) they are now in my sump since they developed a taste for my pink hammer :mad2:

Sk8r
07/30/2011, 09:23 AM
Doubt they will eat zoas.
Coral banded shrimp will eat other inverts AND fish.

snorvich
07/30/2011, 09:58 AM

Yes they will.

david00061
07/30/2011, 11:32 AM

Yes they will.

I really don’t think they will eat zoa's, frogspawn, or any other coral, but if you feel better about getting them out of there. Then get them out. In a few weeks you will more than likely want to add them back to the tank.

Lynnmw1208
07/30/2011, 12:50 PM
I really don’t think they will eat zoa's, frogspawn, or any other coral, but if you feel better about getting them out of there. Then get them out. In a few weeks you will more than likely want to add them back to the tank.

My peppermints did this over night.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MYl8eLzqH2c/ThdX1xUT6VI/AAAAAAAAFqI/zYMI_2cOPU4/s800/DSC_0831.JPG

After I took them out, this coral has recovered wonderfully. Still not back to what it was when I first got it, but getting there!

raylost
07/30/2011, 01:12 PM
Ok Already one got out!

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/raylost/photo-1.jpg

Wolverine
08/01/2011, 08:14 AM
I really don’t think they will eat zoa's, frogspawn, or any other coral,

If they're hungry enough, they will. I have seen them eat zoas. Alternatively, what they'll sometimes do is tear apart the corals to get to food the coral has eaten. Either way, the result can be death of the coral.

Wolverine
08/01/2011, 08:15 AM
Ok Already one got out!

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/raylost/photo-1.jpg

Glad to see it worked (even more glad to see you were able to interpret my rambling explanation to get to what I had in my head).

raylost
08/01/2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks a lot Wolverine! Excellent idea, two to go!

Circleofdocs
08/01/2011, 04:59 PM
i used the food and net method... worked great!

Netofficer3710
08/01/2011, 05:27 PM
I got mine out by sprinkling a bit of flake food in a net and holding it in front of the shrimp.

When the shrimp goes all the way in SLOWLY raise the net up to the surface.
It takes a few tries but it works and it's fast.

Wolverine
08/01/2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks a lot Wolverine! Excellent idea, two to go!

Glad it's working. Wish I could take credit for the idea. Someone else taught it to me back on one of the old BBs before RC existed.

raylost
02/09/2013, 07:24 PM
With the same method I just took out a Pudin wrasse!!