PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for shipping live stuff

ravenmore
07/30/2011, 10:32 AM
Hey all,

It's July, almost August here in Texas. That means its hot. REALLY hot. My back patio has been seeing 108 to 110 temps on a regular basis.

This is problematic when I order livestock, especially from other RC members. I've had two recent purchases (macro algaes) and both were very warm when I received them. One was pretty much seaweed soup (blue ochtodes) and the other (dragon's breath) was pretty warm but I think it will be ok.

I thought I'd give a shipping suggestion and invite others to do the same so perhaps we can help avoid killing livestock we're shipping in extreme temps.

My suggestion I learned during a brief stint managing a lfs a million moons ago. Place the item in a bag with aquarium water, but you want to leave a LOT of air in the bag - as much as possible. You then place the bag in a styrofoam cup, and tape another piece of styrofoam over the top sealing it as best as you can. You then put this in a small box preferrably with some kind of packing around it (you can also tape the cup to the box). This is VERY effective and insulating the item from extreme temps (helps in cold weather too).

Any other suggestions?