PDA

View Full Version : Picking up tank today... will this plan work?

JCareyETexas
07/30/2011, 11:00 AM
Picking up my new pvc bottom 125 in a few minutes :bounce1: and was wondering if the following plan would work:

After initial fill and checking for any leaks and yadayadayada......

1) Put dry rocks and rinsed sand in

2) Fill with RO water

3) Add salt with everything running to help mix

4) Add live rock after a day or two of water movement in the tank that effectively dissolves all salt.

briankmarsh1980
07/30/2011, 11:14 AM
I would mix your saltwater first before putting it in or you will get a residue all over your glass.
I would put your sand in first lay a garbage bag on it and partially fill tank with water, the bag will help keep the sand from getting in the water. Then put your rocks in and fill it the rest of the way other wise you will have to take water out when you put the rocks in.

briankmarsh1980
07/30/2011, 11:18 AM
You don't want to mix salt in the tank especially with sand and rocks in the tank, the salt will settle and take a long time to actually dissolve.

Glazner
07/30/2011, 11:29 AM
agree, wouldn't mix the salt in the tank. However I would recommend putting the bottom rock foundation in first. That way your base rock is on a solid base. Later if you add an engineer gobys or something that likes to dig and move sand it won't affect your rock foundation. And welcome to your new addiction.

albano
07/30/2011, 11:33 AM
agree, wouldn't mix the salt in the tank. However I would recommend putting the bottom rock foundation in first. That way your base rock is on a solid base. Later if you add an engineer gobys or something that likes to dig and move sand it won't affect your rock foundation.
+1...this is the best way!

JCareyETexas
07/30/2011, 11:58 AM
will do.... thanks guys. I figured that was going to be the recommendation. Just hoped there would be an "easier" way.

Glazner
07/30/2011, 02:05 PM
I see your in Tyler, Texas. Had a roommate in college from there. Do you know a Tim O'Hern, late 40's

albano
07/30/2011, 06:07 PM
I see your in Tyler, Texas. Had a roommate in college from there. Do you know a Tim O'Hern, late 40's
balding? small pot belly?

From Wikipedia:
The city had a population of 96,900 in 2010, according to the US Census Bureau

He must know him! :spin2:

FearTheTerps
07/30/2011, 07:08 PM
You could add the rocks, sand and RO water, but not fill it completely. Then mix up some super salty water for the remaining amount of water you need.

albano
07/30/2011, 07:12 PM
You could add the rocks, sand and RO water, but not fill it completely. Then mix up some super salty water for the remaining amount of water you need.
for what?

FearTheTerps
07/30/2011, 07:21 PM
for what?

so that the salt isnt being mixed in the tank itself.

I know several people that have done it this way, particularly for larger tanks. Its much easier to run a RODI line into the tank to fill then, then it is to mix several smaller batches of salt water and then transfer that water to the tank.

Considering the fact that an RODI unit will make about 75 gallons a day depending on the membrane rating, it would take 2 full days to fill a new 150 gallon tank.