PDA

View Full Version : ESV Multi-Part Salt System

njreefermadness
07/30/2011, 04:35 PM
I just started out using the ESV multi-part salt system. It comes with an NaCl bag, Mg sulfate bag, and 2 liquid parts.

Any comments on this salt?

Let me know.

Herb

batt600
07/30/2011, 04:49 PM
I been using it since it came out and love it , Never using any other salt

rkaires
07/30/2011, 06:01 PM
I'm on my 2nd 200gal box and I'm hooked. Mixes up crystal clear and the parameters are always spot on.

JG1
07/30/2011, 06:05 PM
I like it too

SBRob
07/30/2011, 09:41 PM
It's easy to use and a great salt. You will love it!

sweedish15
07/31/2011, 07:41 PM
I went through a few 50 gal kits last year. I loved the salt, mixed up well params were very easy to obtain..............but its very expensive

200 gals of reef crystals at the lfs is 43$ compared to the 200 gal esv salt kit priced at 75$. At the other local fish store its 85$.

I did like it, but im not willing to pay nearly double for it.

rkaires
08/01/2011, 05:32 AM
Some of these suppliers get carried away with the mark up. I'm paying $59.99 at a local LFS for the 200gal box.

Typlus5
08/01/2011, 05:47 AM
Some of these suppliers get carried away with the mark up. I'm paying $59.99 at a local LFS for the 200gal box.

$59.99 or Reef Crystals or ESV?

rkaires
08/01/2011, 07:51 AM
$59.99 or Reef Crystals or ESV?

ESV 200gal.

allsps40
08/01/2011, 07:58 AM
I have heard good thing but the high cost and extra measuring of 3 parts has kept me from trying it.

Mindflux
08/01/2011, 08:03 AM
I have heard good thing but the high cost and extra measuring of 3 parts has kept me from trying it.

4 parts.
:wave:

kaserpick
08/01/2011, 08:57 AM
The extra measuring of the 4 individual parts is actually causing me to WANT to buy it. I know it's a little extra work, but if you can keep your tank dialed in and stable, then you can actually make saltwater with the major elements on point. That sounds amazing!

afernandez
08/01/2011, 10:56 AM
It's a great salt! I've tried a few Other salts and this salt has given me the best results. Idk what it is but my corals absolutely love it. And yes I have seen the difference

Wolfgang
08/01/2011, 05:42 PM
Mixes CLEAR! Which is great... But Mag is WAY L-O-W for what they charge for it! Using two different Elos kits, i came up with like 1050 mag mixed out of the "Box". Same kits show other salt brands with proper Mag levels, not unlike Billys "Sticky" on the Chem Forum.
I went back to Reef Crystals.Less money, and the Parm's are way higher.

LifeAquatic
08/01/2011, 06:09 PM
I love this salt!! Its not bad mixing the 4 parts. You can use a postage scale to weigh everything out and speed up the process.

albano
08/01/2011, 06:26 PM
... But Mag is WAY L-O-W for what they charge for it! Using two different Elos kits, i came up with like 1050 mag mixed out of the "Box".
I went back to Reef Crystals.Less money, and the Parm's are way higher.
IMO...You must have mixed/measured it wrong...ESV mag is much higher and easy to adjust.
RC does not have 'way higher' params.

200g box of ESV can be had at ~$60 !

Wolfgang
08/01/2011, 06:36 PM
Used a Digital scale to weigh. Check the past thread on this, I wasn't the ONLY one getting low Mag! In My Case, RC is higher in mag!
But that said, Use what ever salt you feel is best for you! All I will say is there are many more great SPS tanks using Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals than all of these "Designer Salts" Combined!
FAct! Just look at all the past TOTM's.

rkaires
08/01/2011, 06:58 PM
I'm on my second 200gal box and I test every other 15gal batch. Mag is always 1300 plus using Elos. It's only $10.00 more than RC where I purchase it.

JG1
08/01/2011, 07:08 PM
I use a digital scale that measures in grams and I can mix up batches in lightening speed. I don't even check the salinity anymore because I KNOW it's going to be correct.

Wolfgang
08/01/2011, 07:08 PM
I went thru a couple of 200G boxes as well, it always tested @ 1050 MAG. My Brother in Law set up his 180G Tank from day one with the ESV salt. His Tank tested out Low in Mag as well. He has since switched to RC.
If your numbers are good, and Tank looks good,Stick with it!

JG1
08/01/2011, 07:09 PM
My mag tests at 1350

Emster
08/01/2011, 07:27 PM
Just use instant ocean people that is all that is needed. I will not be checking back on this thread so don't flame me. If you are having problems growing coral best be looking elsewhere. No sense in wasting money.

albano
08/01/2011, 07:39 PM
I will not be checking back on this thread so don't flame me.
Just checked your profile, and you ARE checking this thread!!!!!!!!!

batt600
08/02/2011, 04:36 AM
The best thing about this salt is you can control the parameters when making salt, so if your calcium is to hight you can lower the dose to the salt or if mag is to high you just dont add the mag. No other salt can do this, your if full controll of you salt theres no othere salt like this.

JG1
08/02/2011, 07:45 AM
The best thing about this salt is you can control the parameters when making salt, so if your calcium is to hight you can lower the dose to the salt or if mag is to high you just dont add the mag. No other salt can do this, your if full controll of you salt theres no othere salt like this.

Well, you can't really do that with ESV. It's not meant to be adjustable. You can't control individual parameters except Mag with the ESV systems. If you try to raise or lower Ca/Alk, other parameters are going to go up and down as well.

dzhuo
08/02/2011, 11:57 AM
Well, you can't really do that with ESV. It's not meant to be adjustable.

Even if you can, it's probably not a huge advantage since you can adjust individual param with any other salt.

I have heard nothing but great review on ESV and it's one of the 2 salts I always want to try (the other is Tunze which has won the best salt award in Europe). When you prepare the mix, do you have to be very precise with the water volume? For example, I normally use a 20g mixing container but I have no idea how accurate the rating. I also do not fill the container to the top so I have no idea how much water I actually have. Do you guys just do an estimate and adjust slowly? Also, can I prepare the dosage separately and store them say in its own little bag ahead of time to avoid weighting and measuring for each salt mix?

JG1
08/02/2011, 12:18 PM
Even if you can, it's probably not a huge advantage since you can adjust individual param with any other salt.

I have heard nothing but great review on ESV and it's one of the 2 salts I always want to try (the other is Tunze which has won the best salt award in Europe). When you prepare the mix, do you have to be very precise with the water volume? For example, I normally use a 20g mixing container but I have no idea how accurate the rating. I also do not fill the container to the top so I have no idea how much water I actually have. Do you guys just do an estimate and adjust slowly? Also, can I prepare the dosage separately and store them say in its own little bag ahead of time to avoid weighting and measuring for each salt mix?

The first time you mix you'll spend a little time guestimating the correct water volume. After you figure that out, it goes very fast. I used 5 gallon buckets to estimate how much 20 gallons of water was, and marked a line at the correct height in the container that I mix the water in. Now I just fill top the line, and add the mix.

albano
08/02/2011, 12:28 PM
When you prepare the mix, do you have to be very precise with the water volume? ... Also, can I prepare the dosage separately and store them say in its own little bag ahead of time to avoid weighting and measuring for each salt mix?
The salt mix comes with measuring cups, and instructions for various mixes from 1g , on up.
Yes, you should use a precise water volume each time (that amount is in the instructions)...mark your container after you've established the correct volume.
You could 'pre-measure' the ingredients, but that would include 2 liquids, as well as the 2 'powders'

dzhuo
08/02/2011, 01:04 PM
You could 'pre-measure' the ingredients, but that would include 2 liquids, as well as the 2 'powders'

The liquid parts are going to make it hard to 'pre-measure' and store. Maybe one day I will be brave enough to give ESV a try. Thanks for the info.

bsk997
08/04/2011, 03:38 PM
Where are you guys getting this salt for cheap?
Every online retail I've seen is right around $85-90.

reefrubble
08/04/2011, 07:26 PM
I stop using TM pro reef salt , because they got crazy with the price . My LFS has the best price around here on the ESV salt , and they get $72. for the 200 gal. package . So with the sales tax it comes to $77.04 . That is way to steep for me . I have a 300 gal. tank , and change out over 50 gal. a week . If IO gets to high , I'll go back to NSW .

rkaires
08/05/2011, 04:58 AM
Where are you guys getting this salt for cheap?
Every online retail I've seen is right around $85-90.

Premium has it for $80.00 shipped. One of the LFS by me has it for $59.99. This is probably because ESV is located on Long Island.

rkaires
08/05/2011, 07:58 AM
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ESV232.html

acesq
08/05/2011, 08:43 AM
I'm on my third 200 box of this salt. No issues whatsoever with the parameters (and because the mag is separate, you can tweak your level with no issues). My corals love it. Mixes quick, easy and crystal clear in 10 minutes.

bsk997
08/05/2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the premium link!
Looks like i just have to spend $175 and i get free shipping for it too! lol
I might have to give the ESV salt a try.

Wolfgang
08/05/2011, 09:47 AM
I'm on my third 200 box of this salt. No issues whatsoever with the parameters (and because the mag is separate, you can tweak your level with no issues). My corals love it. Mixes quick, easy and crystal clear in 10 minutes.

Yes the Mag is Separate, but if you "Tweak" your Mag, you won't have enough Mag left for the rest of the 200G Mix as he gives you just enough for the Salt mix size you purchase. If you use more than stated in the directions, you run out.
You can also Tweak your Calcium, Mag, and Alk with anyone's Salt. Point is why pay a Premium for a Salt you still have to Tweak?

albano
08/05/2011, 10:55 AM
Looks like i just have to spend $175 and i get free shipping for it too!
So just 2 boxes & a test kit...and you're in at $72 a box!
Yes the Mag is Separate, but if you "Tweak" your Mag, you won't have enough Mag left for the rest of the 200G Mix as he gives you just enough for the Salt mix size you purchase. If you use more than stated in the directions, you run out.
You can also Tweak your Calcium, Mag, and Alk with anyone's Salt. Point is why pay a Premium for a Salt you still have to Tweak?
where does acesq say he tweaks his Mag. up? (he might)...but, some ppl may 'tweak' their levels up OR down for their particular tank...so if you use less Mag., you have extra!

ESV params are right on...so it does not HAVE to be 'tweaked'
...when you 'tweak' some other salt, you still would have to buy extra chemicals somewhere.
Haven't checked, but I'll bet you can order extra Mag. from ESV. if you 'run out'

Personally, out of the 8 200g boxes, I've used, I haven't made 200g in 1 shot...but I believe there is enough EXTRA chemicals left over to make more than the 200g.

Wolfgang
08/05/2011, 11:09 AM

where does acesq say he tweaks his Mag. up? (he might)...but, some ppl may 'tweak' their levels up OR down for their particular tank...so if you use less Mag., you have extra!

...when you 'tweak' some other salt, you still would have to buy extra chemicals somewhere.
Haven't checked, but I'll bet you can order extra Mag. from ESV. if you 'run out'

Personally, out of the 8 200g boxes, I've used, I haven't made 200g in 1 shot...but I believe there is enough EXTRA chemicals left over to make more than the 200g.

Nope, it works out to be just enough of everything for the Mix. And My Mag was really Low with ESV. As well as My Brother In Laws Tanks. If yours is Perfect, Great! Use it if that's what you want. I am Simply stating our experience with this Salt. My Point being, Why would you have to add anything to a Premium Salt? My Mag level was really low, and i used over 200Gal of this Salt. Check the other older thread on the Chem Forums, and you will see other People reporting low Mag with this Salt.
And BTW, the Reef Crystals doesn't require any Mag addition, and is fine where it is. Use what ever Salt you want! I've used Both and I Like Reef Crystals better.

rkaires
08/05/2011, 11:19 AM

I had mag left over as well as some sodium and a little A & B component. I'm going on my third box and can say that the first two were spot on.

njreefermadness
08/05/2011, 02:26 PM
I have been mixing to the 20 gallon recipe, in my 32 gallon Brute. Once the ESV is all dissolved, I will put in another type of salt (lately Brightwell, Red Sea CP or RC) to get the entire batch up to 35ppt.

This way I don't need to be too precise w/ the ESV, and the bulk of the batch is ESV. I have always been blending at least 2 different salts. This will avoid any possible batch problems w/in a single manufacturer and possibly even out any Mg or Ca issues that might be specific to a single salt.

Herb

albano
08/05/2011, 02:37 PM
I have been mixing to the 20 gallon recipe, in my 32 gallon Brute. Once the ESV is all dissolved, I will put in another type of salt (lately Brightwell, Red Sea CP or RC) to get the entire batch up to 35ppt.

This way I don't need to be too precise w/ the ESV, and the bulk of the batch is ESV. I have always been blending at least 2 different salts. This will avoid any possible batch problems w/in a single manufacturer and possibly even out any Mg or Ca issues that might be specific to a single salt.

Wow...you got the right screenname! :eek2: