PDA

View Full Version : Losing color

ltljoker
07/31/2011, 11:31 AM
We have had a blue face angelfish in our tank for about a month and a half. He is healthy and swimming around, he eats and is in a 210 gal tank. Our water parameters are good and there are no agressive fish in the tank with him . So the question is what would cause him to lose all his color ? Thanks for any help with this.

snorvich
07/31/2011, 12:55 PM
Tell me more about his swimming habits. Hides in caves? Near powerheads or returns?

MrTuskfish
07/31/2011, 01:38 PM
Are you feeding a good variety of foods and adding vitamins? For some reason, many hobbyists consider these fish to be herbivores; but they are omnivores and need meaty stuff as well as greens....and plenty of LR. Vitamins, like Selcon, are really needed too, IMO.

dzfish17
07/31/2011, 03:57 PM
I agree. If your water is fine and the fish is not stressed than it is probably the diet. What are you feeding?

ltljoker
07/31/2011, 04:03 PM
He has pleanty of live rock to hide and graze in, i feed them a steady diet of meaty foods such as angel and butterfly food with brine shrimp, krill, mussel, and sponge. that is every other day. On the off days I feed them ocean nutrition reef flake and every day I give them a sheet of seaweed. The water quality is fine, I did a water check last week and again today.. He does get chased around by a sailfine but doesnt get nipped. The sailfin is much smaller but does tend to be a lil mean.

duncantse
07/31/2011, 04:06 PM
Try feeding NLS pellets exclusively.

ltljoker
08/01/2011, 03:05 PM
My blueface must have been really stressed out cause he has most of his color back today. I beleave in a couple more days he will be back to normal....

snorvich
08/01/2011, 03:49 PM
Stressed from what?

ltljoker
08/02/2011, 09:46 AM
I found some stray voltage in the tank from a bad power strip. I stuck my hand in the water and could feel a lil electricity going into the water. I am sure it didnt feel good to the fish. But all is good and the blue face is back to his stunning colorful self

MrTuskfish
08/02/2011, 07:13 PM
I don't see how a bad power strip could cause stray voltage. It comes from heaters, PHs , and other submerged equipment. I'm not sure, but I don't think fish feel stray voltage at all, unless the tank is grounded....or something like that. I'm no electrician.