PDA

View Full Version : 75G Filtration

Gregthos
07/31/2011, 11:38 AM
I have a brand new 75 I have not been able to set up for well over a year now and it's killing me every time I go into my garage. I need to be economical about this, but I want to get the ball rolling. I also have a 29G tank and I want to know if this will make a big enough refugium? I will have more questions but let's start with this one.

Felixc395
07/31/2011, 12:00 PM
Will the 29 be your sump and refugium or just your refugium? If it's just a refugium, that is plenty big enough, no problem there. If it's your sump/refugium, it still could work. Assuming the 29 is a biocube, making that work as a sump might be difficult, refugium however, would work great.

Good luck!

Gregthos
07/31/2011, 12:03 PM
I want o have a sump/refugium together.

Felixc395
07/31/2011, 12:10 PM
Then I don't know how you'll fit a refugium, skimmer, etc. all in a 29 biocube, that might be a tricky thing to do. And how would you fit the 29 below the tank???

Gregthos
07/31/2011, 12:18 PM
Now that I am thinking about it, the tank may be bigger than a 29. Guess I will have to get out there and measure it. Like I said the stuff has been in my garage haunting me for a while now. But just for laughs what would you say the minimum size refugium/sump I could make would run the 75G? Thank you for responding by the way.

Felixc395
07/31/2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, no problem! I don't want to be the only one to respond, but I have a 75 gallon, so I thought I would be somewhat qualified! :lol: For a 75, I think the smallest size sump would be a 20 gallon. I say this because most people don't run there sumps full. My 35 gallon sump really only runs with 15-20 gallons in it in the event that something fails and the water level in the sump rises. So I'd say that a 20 gallon sump would be minimum.

Gregthos
07/31/2011, 12:40 PM
Ok, having said that and the fact that you are running a 75G already I have a couple more questions. :) Are you running a sum/refugium together? If so, what kind of skimmer do you have? I want to be as cost effective as possible. What kind of lighting do you have and what livestock/coral do you keep?

cboy
07/31/2011, 12:50 PM
Will the 29 be your sump and refugium or just your refugium? If it's just a refugium, that is plenty big enough, no problem there. If it's your sump/refugium, it still could work. Assuming the 29 is a biocube, making that work as a sump might be difficult, refugium however, would work great.

Good luck!

No where in his post do i see he said its a Biocube??

a 29 gal tank is 30x12x18 iirc.

Felixc395
07/31/2011, 01:03 PM
No where in his post do i see he said its a Biocube??

a 29 gal tank is 30x12x18 iirc.

Very true! I'm sorry I forgot! I realized a couple years ago I had one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, having said that and the fact that you are running a 75G already I have a couple more questions. :) Are you running a sum/refugium together? If so, what kind of skimmer do you have? I want to be as cost effective as possible. What kind of lighting do you have and what livestock/coral do you keep?

I'm not running a refugium on my tank. Just a three compartment sump with liverock, skimmer, and finally return pump. I have a reef octopus 1000 XP SSS. I have two aquaillumination LED sols over my tank. When I get my phosphate down, I'm going to keep SPS. The lights really give me the ability to keep anything I want. I hope this helps!

z3r0ko0l
07/31/2011, 01:35 PM
...But just for laughs what would you say the minimum size refugium/sump I could make would run the 75G? Thank you for responding by the way.

I would agree that a 20g should be the min.. Ive seen many. Your just limited on space and I would make the refug external w/a 20g sump.

cboy
07/31/2011, 03:17 PM
IIRC a 40breeder is the comon size sump for a 75gal tank.

lots of room to work with and the same front to back as a 75 so it should hopefully fit in your stand.

captnslapy
07/31/2011, 10:10 PM
Most 75g stands won't fit a 40b. I have a pine stand and it's only 16" on the inside. the tank sits on the outer edges of the stand. I couldn't get a standard 29 gallon in the stand without going threw the top of the stand. Might want to check on this before you commit to a certain size.

allsps40
08/01/2011, 07:37 AM
I would use a 40B for my sump but like captnslapy said they dont fit in the 75g stand.

SirReefer
08/02/2011, 09:11 AM
I think its better if you measure the tank and and see what you want to put in it. I made my own acrylic tank 33l 15w 15h plenty of room for skimmer/fuge/return pump so I guess it depends on what your gonna put in it.