PDA

View Full Version : Good fish in a lion fish tank?

dela
07/31/2011, 02:48 PM
Hey guys,

I'm switching my 90g bowfront tank to be more fish focused and was planning on getting a couple of Antennata lionfish. They are supposed to be smaller than the volitan lionfish, so I'm thinking would be less likely to eat any tank mates.

What are other fish I might be able to keep in the tank? I was considering a foxface, a tang, or maybe a raccoon butterfly fish.

It would be nice to have some algae eaters since it's a 30" deep tank and I won't be sticking my arms in the tank as much!

billdogg
07/31/2011, 04:42 PM
Anything that won't fit in their mouths. And avoid triggers - they like to nip their fins.

b0bab0ey
07/31/2011, 07:57 PM
Anything that won't fit in their mouths. And avoid triggers - they like to nip their fins.

+1, although I've kept Triggers (Picasso, Queen, Niger) w/Lions before with no issues. Basically, as long as they can't eat it, Lions won't fool with it. They're not really aggressive, just opportunistic feeders.

Brycen97
07/31/2011, 08:05 PM
This would get more attion in the agrevive fish foums

agreeive?fish
07/31/2011, 10:01 PM
basically anything that wont fit in the lions mouth, anything that wont pick on the lion such as triggers/puffers,

OregonReefer
07/31/2011, 11:24 PM
Anything that, nose to tail, is shorter that the lions, nose to base of tail, will get eaten

It's truly amazing what they can manage to swallow given their size

snorvich
08/01/2011, 06:27 AM
Anything that, nose to tail, is shorter that the lions, nose to base of tail, will get eaten

It's truly amazing what they can manage to swallow given their size

Yes. My general rule of thumb is 2/3 the size of the lion is risky. Above, not so much.