PDA

View Full Version : potters help

Jake9487
07/31/2011, 05:07 PM
anyone have any tricks on getting angels to eat, certain foods maybe, any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated

Sheol
07/31/2011, 05:23 PM
First tip: Make sure you have LR that they can graze on. Problem hair algae being a favorite! This will help until they learn to eat prepared foods.
I'll let the other people who own them take it from here, this part being true for ALL Centropyge angels.

Sincerely,
Matthew

rssjsb
07/31/2011, 05:35 PM
I have had really good success getting picky angels like flagfins, potters, and singapores to eat NLS pellets even before they ate mysis. It's worth a shot.

In the meantime, as Matthew says, be sure that the tank (hoping it's in quarantine) has live rock that the fish can pick at for algae and pods or whatever else they look for when they pick at rock. My angels also go absolutely nuts for Sera spirulina tabs.

Live brine, while nutritionally poor, can often evoke an eating response that can be expanded to other frozen food, like mysis.

houser
07/31/2011, 07:31 PM
I'll raise Robin by saying fortify the brine. They'll go for that for sure, then potentially some Rod's or the like. Various particle sizes may get them if you keep them in suspension. A little messy but if Q tank easy to clean at least.

sunilp
07/31/2011, 10:15 PM
I've got the same problem with my new potter

jjk_reef00
07/31/2011, 10:35 PM
Try ocean nutrition angel formula, and clam on the half shell.

sunilp
07/31/2011, 10:47 PM
Try ocean nutrition angel formula, and clam on the half shell.

I already have

johnc99
08/01/2011, 01:38 AM
Live blood worms and frozen mysis got my C. argi eating. Now it won't touch anything other than prepared foods.

LargeAngels
08/01/2011, 02:22 PM
Did you get it from local LFS, online or direct from the diver? Unless you got it direct from the diver I would recommend a FW dip to see if it has flukes, or anything else. Is it fat, skinny. How's the color? What temp are you keeping it at. Potters do best if kept at low 70's with lots of algae to graze on. Try freshly hatched brine shrimp or Cyclopezee and make sure there is good water flow when you feed. For new potters they seem to do better with small food particles with good water flow and lots of places to graze on.

block head
08/01/2011, 02:32 PM
i had a crusty qt tank setup ready to go. quick fw dip before puting him in . i threw 6 foods at him with minor sucess. his appetite improved greatly a day or two after prazzi pro.

Sheol
08/01/2011, 05:13 PM
My dwarf angels go nuts over Spirulina Brine shrimp. Its like a feedingg frenzy. Maybe you could try some, mixed with a few live brine shrimp?

Matthew

sunilp
08/01/2011, 09:02 PM
I'll have to try this. I will go get some tomorrow.