PDA

View Full Version : Buying used tanks and equipment

Bunnylicked
07/31/2011, 06:30 PM
What's your opinion on buying used tanks and equipment? I've been trying to decide if I should get everything new or not, and I'm really not sure. With all new equipment, I'd know exactly what I was getting and potentially have more options for the size/shape of my tank, but I've calculated the cost for everything brand-new, and it ended up being well over $1000 even without the tank. If I went with used equipment, I could actually stay within my budget (there's about 4-5 75g setups for under $450 on the local craigslist at the moment), but I'd have a good chance of getting something that was low-quality, broken, or contaminated with pests or chemicals.

What do you all think? Is there anything in particular that I definitely shouldn't buy used/new? Also, any other tips are welcomed. Thanks! :)

doctorgori
07/31/2011, 06:49 PM
IMHO buying some stuff is safe/benign enuff....
Fish tanks are soirta like pool tables: many people "think" they want one untill they find out what its really about and get borded with the orange gravel, glofish and bubbly shipwrecks....if its a 75g and above tank you can get it at a steal...

heaters? no unless they are EBJ's
small pwrheads No: I've actually had a used pwrhead explode underwater
Skimmers? H@ll yes!!!
lights? yup

basically anything that won't potentially leak or shock you is probably a decent deal imho

LaOtIn
07/31/2011, 07:04 PM
buying used is a great way to buy on a budget for sure. I can try to run down some things here...

Used tank:
-SEE it with water in it!
-check ALL seams for nicks, tears, stress
-check ALL braces for stress cracks, diy repairs, etc
-dirty = not a problem, thats why they invented vinegar!
-check glass for pitting, scars, scratches (every used tank is going to have some scratches, but scars is a no go
-ANY diy repairs or if they say, "yeah it was old and we redid the silicone" yeah thats a no go!
-90g and under, non drilled = $1/gallon use that as a point of reference, 90g and under, drilled = $2/gallon

Lights:
-YOU MUST SEE IT WORK!
-visable damage to cords
-EVERYTHING WORKS, none of the, "yeah well the lunar lights never worked so ahh, yeah."
-Check the unit for excessive heat after running for a bit
-talk to the person and leave the light on for as long as possible
-if they plug it in and it arcs...ah, yeah, no good senor!
-no, No, NO DIY rigging, not with lights, none of this, "well paw built this fer me and its a worked gud for years!"

Used skimmer:
-try to see it in action
-check the pump out good, look at the impeller, make sure all the parts are there
-dirty= expected
-check cords for damage
-no DIY repairs

Used powerheads:
-for sure see it in action
-dirty= no problem, vinegar+water+powerhead+1hr= brand new
-check cords for damage

Used heaters:
-buy a new one, dont even bother

Used plumbing that comes with a used tank:
-throw it all out and buy new, not worth messing with it

Used reactors:
-no visable damage to unit
-fill it up with water, plug the in/outs with fingers, make sure it holds water
-no DIY repairs
-dirty= no problem
-check out the pump the same way as the powerheads

Used Pumps:
-see powerheads above
-Personally I would buy a new pump to fit your needs

Used Live Rock/Sand
-sometimes you get lucky, sometimes your luck sucks!
-check for visable signs of bag algaes, hair, slime, etc
-dont pay more than $2/lbs

Most all used stuff can be cleaned up really well with vinegar, time and elbow lube. If it looks bad that doesnt mean it is bad, most times it just means its dirty due to bad/lazy maintenance practices, or lack there of. If you see the tank of your dreams and it passes your inspection eye, the price is right, go for it!

Very important, BRING A BUDDY WITH YOU when going to look at anything used, first, 4 eyes are better than 2; buddy can help you say no to a bad deal and lastly Sriagslist is full of algaebucket people, never know when you may run into an idiot and have to whoop someones ace!

Good luck, I deal in used all the time and there are a load of massive good deals!

ibefishy
07/31/2011, 07:55 PM
buying used is a great way to buy on a budget for sure. I can try to run down some things here...

Used tank:
-SEE it with water in it!
-check ALL seams for nicks, tears, stress
-check ALL braces for stress cracks, diy repairs, etc
-dirty = not a problem, thats why they invented vinegar!
-check glass for pitting, scars, scratches (every used tank is going to have some scratches, but scars is a no go
-ANY diy repairs or if they say, "yeah it was old and we redid the silicone" yeah thats a no go!
-90g and under, non drilled = $1/gallon use that as a point of reference, 90g and under, drilled = $2/gallon

Lights:
-YOU MUST SEE IT WORK!
-visable damage to cords
-EVERYTHING WORKS, none of the, "yeah well the lunar lights never worked so ahh, yeah."
-Check the unit for excessive heat after running for a bit
-talk to the person and leave the light on for as long as possible
-if they plug it in and it arcs...ah, yeah, no good senor!
-no, No, NO DIY rigging, not with lights, none of this, "well paw built this fer me and its a worked gud for years!"

Used skimmer:
-try to see it in action
-check the pump out good, look at the impeller, make sure all the parts are there
-dirty= expected
-check cords for damage
-no DIY repairs

Used powerheads:
-for sure see it in action
-dirty= no problem, vinegar+water+powerhead+1hr= brand new
-check cords for damage

Used heaters:
-buy a new one, dont even bother

Used plumbing that comes with a used tank:
-throw it all out and buy new, not worth messing with it

Used reactors:
-no visable damage to unit
-fill it up with water, plug the in/outs with fingers, make sure it holds water
-no DIY repairs
-dirty= no problem
-check out the pump the same way as the powerheads

Used Pumps:
-see powerheads above
-Personally I would buy a new pump to fit your needs

Used Live Rock/Sand
-sometimes you get lucky, sometimes your luck sucks!
-check for visable signs of bag algaes, hair, slime, etc
-dont pay more than $2/lbs

Most all used stuff can be cleaned up really well with vinegar, time and elbow lube. If it looks bad that doesnt mean it is bad, most times it just means its dirty due to bad/lazy maintenance practices, or lack there of. If you see the tank of your dreams and it passes your inspection eye, the price is right, go for it!

Very important, BRING A BUDDY WITH YOU when going to look at anything used, first, 4 eyes are better than 2; buddy can help you say no to a bad deal and lastly Sriagslist is full of algaebucket people, never know when you may run into an idiot and have to whoop someones ace!

Good luck, I deal in used all the time and there are a load of massive good deals!

Lots of good advice there. If you KNOW what you are looking at there are some good deals to be had. Just dont let anyone talk you into something you dont want or need. And be prepared to walk away if something doesnt sound right or look right.

LaOtIn
07/31/2011, 08:35 PM
And be prepared to walk away if something doesnt sound right or look right.

Perfectly said!

psteeleb
07/31/2011, 08:45 PM
if its in good shape - absolutely - but make sure your getting it for about 1/2 price if not lower

Some electronic items I would not want to take a chance on without a thorough checkout

but whatever you get make sure you sterilize it in bleach (assuming it's in contact with water). There as some pretty bad things that can survive dry

I always give my stuff a good bleach bath (if not an acid then bleach) and rinse before using. On a system I'll usually do it as part of a leak test

Curious George
07/31/2011, 09:28 PM
I just don't trust used tanks. Many people are good about resealing the silicone, but I'm not. I went to look at a used tank yesterday.

I asked questions on the phone and the guy said:

No chips in the glass
Silicone is in great condition
Used for only Fresh water
About 2 years old
Stand needs a "Little Paint"
And it was a 125 gallon tank

I drove an hour and this is what I found:

11 glass chips on the edges
Silicone Peeling up BAD
This tank was used for SALT--I know because there was an inch of saltwater in the bottom and the unmistakeable haze on the glass
It was a 110 Gallon Tank
The Stand could barely support the tank without water and had very little paint left on it
If this tank was 2 years old, I'm frigg'n Santa Clause

If I didn't have anything to loose, I would have punched him in the face. I never do this to people when I sell something. Rotten SOB

geaux xman
07/31/2011, 09:52 PM
if you have a local reef board, they're much better than CL. they're better about prices and you know exactly why they're selling. most of the time, they're either getting out of the hobby or upgrading.

if this is your first setup, going used is a great idea. you will get a better feel of what like in a tank once you own one. buying new, you will end up blowing a ton of money, to just later wanting to upgrade everything.

Mr. Reef
08/01/2011, 04:50 AM
The cheapest stuff on the planet is used aquarium equipment. The hunt is fun. I just bought a $7,000 setup for $1,000.

Bunnylicked
08/01/2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for your help! I'll definitely try to buy at least some of my stuff used. LaOtIn, if you don't mind, I think I might print that out once I start looking for a tank. :)

Ron M Simon
01/12/2016, 09:48 PM
Looking for a 180 gallon reef tank with stand

tang named junkyard
01/12/2016, 10:16 PM
I bought a used tank. Looked good at the guys house. Got it home and realized there were scratches everywhere. Had 3 panels replaced. Should have just bought the tank new. They are cheap.

dleute
02/12/2016, 10:04 AM
This is great advice!

I am looking at a used tank that is currently still fully functional (I mean the tank is still running and I will see it fully active with fish). In fact, much of the equipment is what I would possibly buy new today.

If I am seeing everything fully functional, it seems like that takes care of some of the above list. Is there anything I should look for on a functional setup that says "hey, this tank is on its last legs"

The tank itself is a 180 aqueon with mega overflows. Claimed to be 4 years old. I am looking at this exact tank new as well. The stand is likely the aqueon black wood stand (not great, but it works). Still getting details on other equipment. But most of that is stuff on my to be considered list. Ecotech vortech powerhead and reef octopus skimmer. Seems like it's pretty good stuff.

Thanks!

Nathanl91
02/12/2016, 10:32 AM
I bought my tank and stand used, everything else was new

CarrieB
02/12/2016, 11:00 AM
Great list LaOtln. So far matches my experience with the tank I just bought. I was thinking I would be able to use the power heads and heaters, but none were really working when I got them home. Fortunately, I was considering them bonus, not factored into the purchase price. However, I should have included replacement costs in my budget.

mntbiker2008
02/12/2016, 11:07 AM
I have bought about half my equipment from craigslist/ local members and haven't had a bad experience yet. It definitely helps make this hobby a little more pocket friendly. Just have to make sure everything is safe/ disease free.

reefcentral123
02/12/2016, 12:09 PM
i wouldn't risk it with anything used but its a risk benefit analysis u gotta make. if the extra money for pieces of the mind is not worth it then go and buy used

ca1ore
02/12/2016, 01:29 PM
I think you have to be very careful, see it in person ..... and know what you're looking at. There's a tendency for people to 'underestimate' age and/or usage of stuff.

Ou8me2
02/12/2016, 07:03 PM
Tanks make me leery at times. It's really hard to judge if people are being honest also. I have went to see setups for sale and I think what a deal this could be and find out it has more issues than the seller lets on. Had a guy try to sell me a tank and he sent pictures of it up and running and when I got there it was empty and dirty.

Just make sure you know what to look for in tanks.

TimeConsumer
02/12/2016, 07:14 PM
I just sold my 38g 10 minutes ago on Craigslist, last week I sold my 10g quarantine. A few months prior to that I sold my 75g tank, stand, and light plus a ton of extras in a garage sale. Sold an MP10 a few weeks ago. Last year I sold plenty stuff like a skimmer, RODI unit, powerheads, reefkeeper, etc.

Several of those items I was the second or third owner of. Several I purchased new. In 2 weeks I plan to purchase a used craigslist setup in my new city. We've already worked out the price and date.

Moral of the story, it's a really common practice and in my limited experience people are usually honest and not trying to rip you off with broken goods. But always take precautions and test things. If a guy wants to meet you in a parking lot to buy his skimmer, bring a 5g bucket of water and a power inverter and watch it work yourself (I've done this, it worked.)

exsequor
04/21/2016, 11:33 PM
At least around here you can really sort of get a vibe for what type of person they are based on how they communicate on the telephone AND via email. I like to see both communication skills when I am looking to facilitate a great craigslist deal into a "good purchase".

I believe I have developed a good gut for both buyers and sellers of all sorts of items on craigslist (from motorhomes, motorcycles, heavy equipment to getting rid of parents cats to fish tanks).

I practice a lot of caution with the reasons for the sale, but also on how they communicate, and base also their ad and photo quality into this decision.

I believe you can tell a lot about a seller based on these three things.

Then you find out more when you arrive at their home and see the neighborhood and how their house is stands out among that neighborhood. Does it have cars parked in the front grass and crap strewn everywhere? Or is it a clean and presentable home.

This might sound vain, and I don't believe myself to be, but it's reality in a lot of cases. Not that I haven't done business with folks in messy houses, or whatever, but I'll tell you what..

mandarin_goby
04/22/2016, 06:30 AM
Almost all my equipment was bought used and I never had any issues with them: MP10s, a 57 rimless (has scratches but I got it cheap and they don't bother me), a 6 bulb Tek T5, my 2 Kessils, Lifereef overflow, and now a 75 gallon setup (yes, he sent pics with it full of water). I don't even worry about buying used.

One lesson I did learn...I bought a 55 gallon used, and the brace broke after a few years and a couple moves, just know there's always a risk!