PDA

View Full Version : EB8 - how best to switch very small loads?

doma
08/01/2011, 09:23 AM
Hello -
I installed 3 dosing pumps this past weekend for dripping ca, alk, and mg. Problem is, when the apex commands the outlets to turn off they sometimes stop and sometimes they don't. I see on the display (and via the apex status) that the outlets have been switched off but sometimes one of the pumps just keeps spinning. When in this state if I unplug the pump then plug it right back in the pump stops.
I suspect this is because the load is too small. I think the pumps are 7 watts. I remember reading that the EB8 has trouble switching very small loads.
If that's the cause, what are ppl doing to switch small loads? I was thinking I could mount a 40 watt light bulb above each of the dosing pumps and put them on the same outlet as each pump. But if the bulb burns out then that pump might become stuck on. What's a better way to increase the load? Or a different way to solve the problem?

thanks-
-doma

swearint
08/01/2011, 10:31 AM
First solution is to use either outlet 4 or 8, they are mechanical relays and don't suffer from the lower current issue. If those are not available, then next approach is to do what you mentioned, increase the current draw with another device. Also, I have read, but have not confirmed, that using a plug-in GFCI adapter on the EB8 outlet has solved the problem. Finally, there is the EB4, it has all mechanical relays.

Todd

doma
08/01/2011, 11:37 AM
Thank's swearint ... I almost ordered the EB4 this weekend but the vendor I usually use says its backordered 3 weeks. I'll go ahead and order one anyway.

I had also forgotten that outlet 1 on the EB8 wasn't a mechanical relay. For the time being I'll move the Ca and dKH pumps to outlets 4 and 8 as you suggest. (Currently, I've got the Ca pump in outlet 1 and that's the one that's not stopping)

thanks-
-doma

dunk373
08/01/2011, 04:58 PM
i have my brs dosing pumps on outlet 1 and 3 and not a problem yet knock on wood i hope it keeps working! been working over a month now

RussM
08/01/2011, 06:23 PM
I was thinking I could mount a 40 watt light bulb above each of the dosing pumps and put them on the same outlet as each pump. A cheap incandescent nightlite will even do the trick if you do this.