PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Angel in Reef Tank

Mr.Mcgibblets
08/01/2011, 01:07 PM
Redoing my tank and thinking of adding a juvenile Emperor. For the new tank I am thinking of doing mostly SPS but also an anemone. Is this a bad idea? Opinions?

aday2remmbr
08/01/2011, 01:10 PM
its kind of like adding a dwarf to a reef tank, its a crap shoot. he may nip at coral he may not. i personally have had great luck with virtually any angel in any of my reef tanks. but i have also heard a few horror stories of people waking up to a happy angel, but a not so happy reef tank.

wdt2000
08/01/2011, 01:12 PM
Is your new tank bigger than 120?

sporto0
08/01/2011, 01:19 PM
In SPS dominant tank, I think you will find the angel will constantly nip at them, consequently causing them to retract their polyps, it won't hurt the coral physically, but in the long run, the SPS won't survive, that has been my experience, I'm sure there are others who have had success, but probably not the majority.

wdt2000
08/01/2011, 01:26 PM
I wish mine would eat some soft coral :)

snorvich
08/01/2011, 02:02 PM
I wish mine would eat some soft coral :)

Good luck with that.

Mr.Mcgibblets
08/01/2011, 02:31 PM
Is your new tank bigger than 120?

No it will be 120g. My father in law has a 300g tank and wants an adult emperor so I was thinking of getting a juvenile and either getting a bigger tank or giving it to him when the angel gets bigger.

So would an Emperor do better with LPS then or is it still hit or miss?

dwarf_angels31
08/01/2011, 02:44 PM
That will be a very expensive diet the angel will have

alton
08/01/2011, 03:25 PM
The Red Sea Imp I had was the best with coral, I had him in a 158 until i had to sell him. He did fine with everything SPS, LPS, Softies, but no brains he picked on them so I removed brains. I grew a 2" juvy to an 8" adult and he did fine with SPS, Frogspawn, and softies. What was amazing was he grew up with a clam which he did not bother until about a year after he had his adult colors. There is no such thing as a guaranteed reef safe fish, try it if it does not work trade him back to the fish store or a fellow reefer. Best thing is a few weeks after you have him in quarintine place serveral corals in the tank with him and see how he does? The idea is to get him to eat from you in lieu of eating from the reef.

wdt2000
08/01/2011, 05:23 PM
No it will be 120g. My father in law has a 300g tank and wants an adult emperor so I was thinking of getting a juvenile and either getting a bigger tank or giving it to him when the angel gets bigger.

So would an Emperor do better with LPS then or is it still hit or miss?

Mine eats most lps with vigor. Does not really seem to have much interest in sps or anthelia.