PDA

View Full Version : How many fish would you suggest go in a 20gL QT?

Putty
08/02/2011, 12:55 PM
Say three yellow tangs? Is that too many for QT'g?

heritage
08/02/2011, 12:58 PM
are you serious?

Toddrtrex
08/02/2011, 01:23 PM
That would be 2 tangs too many for that QT.

And, since you already have 2 tangs ( with one being a N. vlamingi )) in a 72 bow front, the last thing you should be worried about is adding more tangs.

Palting
08/02/2011, 01:36 PM
are you serious?

And, since you already have 2 tangs ( with one being a N. vlamingi )) in a 72 bow front, the last thing you should be worried about is adding more tangs.

LOL! You guys don't pull any punches, do you? But, absolutely right. No more tnags for you, putty, no matter what size QT, unless you get a bigger DT :).

lacosta28
08/02/2011, 01:38 PM
are you serious?

Just take a brief glance at his/her posting history and you will realize, sadly he/she is serious.

Toddrtrex
08/02/2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it gets better.

There already is a "chocolate tang" and was (( or still is )) an Indian Trigger and...

Mine will be in with an Emperor, Queen, Blueface Angel and a Yellow tang.

lacosta28
08/02/2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah, it gets better.

There already is a "chocolate tang" and was (( or still is )) an Indian Trigger and...

Wow, it should be illegal for some people to own tanks. Where is the animal humane society?

heritage
08/02/2011, 01:45 PM
Just take a brief glance at his/her posting history and you will realize, sadly he/she is serious.

yeah, i realize the op has a low post count but so do I. :)

but to answer your question, no
it really comes down to the size of the actual fish but even with that i only ever qt one fish at a time and treat accordingly.

heritage
08/02/2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah, it gets better.

i dont know what to say but WOW...

Putty
08/02/2011, 01:49 PM
You guys really need to focus on the question and stop police'g. I bought 1, my buddy bought two...we were going to QT them together.

Yeah, it gets better.

I don't have that Trigger anymore!!!!!!!

Toddrtrex
08/02/2011, 01:53 PM
You guys really need to focus on the question and stop police'g. I bought 1, my buddy bought two...we were going to QT them together.

I answered your question, post #3

I don't have that Trigger anymore!!!!!!!

Do you still have the N. vlamingi and chocolate tang?

You speak in the past tense, indicating that you have already purchased the 3 yellow tangs, do you have means to QT them separately?

lacosta28
08/02/2011, 01:58 PM
You guys really need to focus on the question and stop police'g.

And you really need to research this hobby. If you did some research then no one would have to police you and you wouldn't have had to ask all the idiotic questions you have asked in the last month and a half.

scarface70706
08/02/2011, 02:06 PM
ouch!

Toddrtrex
08/02/2011, 02:06 PM
And you really need to research this hobby. If you did some research then no one would have to police you and you wouldn't have had to ask all the idiotic questions you have asked in the last month and a half.

Nothing wrong with asking questions (( please don't use the term "idiotic" )).

Putty
08/02/2011, 02:18 PM
Great!! So this forum is one that someone "new to the hobby" can't come and ask "new to the hobby" type questions w/out being mocked and called names...appreciate it.

sporto0
08/02/2011, 02:23 PM
Great!! So this forum is one that someone "new to the hobby" can't come and ask "new to the hobby" type questions w/out being mocked and called names...appreciate it.

Guy or girl, that is not the case at all, but be honest, you like pushing their buttons, & you are good at it.

Orcrone
08/02/2011, 02:28 PM
Putty, as a general rule I never place more than one fish in a QT. One of the purposes of a QT is to observe the fish and take appropriate action if anything is amiss. If a fish comes down with an infection you can treat with antibiotics, if white spots show up you treat with copper or hyposalinity. However, if you place more than one fish in a QT then you'll need to treat the sick fish and a potentially healthy fish at the same time if you notice something.

Also a QT generally does not have a full blown bio filter going. A sponge filter does not take the place of many pounds of live rock in a cycled tank. Placing multiple fish in a QT is more likely to cause a spike in ammonia and/or nitrites and be harmful to your fish. Plus when you add a fish to a DT the bio-filter in the DT will need to adjust to the increased bio-load so adding one fish at a time to the DT is healthier for the inhabitants.

Aside from which this is one hobby that's best not rushed. Limiting yourself to one fish in a QT at a time is a good way to make sure you pace yourself.

Orcrone
08/02/2011, 02:32 PM

Putty. I applaud how many questions you've been asking and how much you're trying to learn quickly. But often it seems that you ask AFTER you've done something. I know that standing in the LFS looking at fish and/or corals in a tank makes it very easy to act impulsively. We've all done it. But try and take a break and ask the questions before acting. Find out whether it's wise to put three fish in a QT BEFORE you and your buddy purchase them.

Toddrtrex
08/02/2011, 02:36 PM
Putty -- I already made a comment about the asking questions post.

However, there is one issue, asking questions are a good way to learn; repeatedly ignoring the advice that is given is not a good way to learn. You were already told that at least one of the tangs in your tank isn't appropriate, and yet you want to add another tang...

Sport507
08/02/2011, 02:51 PM
Hmmm, This thread will proabably end up behind bars.

Putty
08/02/2011, 03:09 PM
Thank you to those that answered the question I asked....the select few of you. I'll get my own tank for my tang and be done with it.
For the record, I ask questions I don't know the answers to. The few of you in this thread that attacked me for it I feel it was uncalled for. Just plain rude, considering the forum I asked all my questions in. At some point all of you were novice and whether you asked questions here or elsewhere, you asked.
I feel very uneasy to post at this point...have a good day.

TaNuki
08/02/2011, 03:21 PM
I am probably guilty of asking common sense questions as well, but the "Search" function has allowed me to find some of those answers without public ridicule. Maybe give that a whirl next time as well.

heritage
08/02/2011, 03:26 PM
Thank you to those that answered the question I asked....the select few of you. I'll get my own tank for my tang and be done with it.
For the record, I ask questions I don't know the answers to. The few of you in this thread that attacked me for it I feel it was uncalled for. Just plain rude, considering the forum I asked all my questions in. At some point all of you were novice and whether you asked questions here or elsewhere, you asked.
I feel very uneasy to post at this point...have a good day.

there is nothing wrong with asking questions thats what site like this are for. i wish the internet was around when i started in the hobby, it would have saved the life of quite a few animals. if i posted anything that offended you then i'm sorry. obviously i'm new to the site as well but i have been in the hobby for some time and always try to help those with less experience.

bertoni
08/02/2011, 03:38 PM
Closed. This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere.