PDA

View Full Version : Need help with deciding on lighting...

wavemaker81
08/02/2011, 08:05 PM
OK, I have a 75g tank that will be a reef tank that I setup back in June. I currently have an AquaticLife T5 HO Dual lamp fixture on my tank. I am looking at purchasing a new add on light but need some help deciding which will be the best to go with. I want to keep LPS and some of the easier SPS in my tank. Below is what I am planning to buy this week.

Lighting choices
1. AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp (I will add this to my current one and this will give me 4X54W T5s). Also plan to change to all Giesmann bulbs

2. 2 X 175-Watt Single Ended Mogul metal halide pendant lights with dual PFO Ballast. Comes with 2 - Hamilton 14K bulbs that are 3 months old (Used and for sale for $150)

3.48' LED Ecoxotic Stunner Strip 24W

4. Odyssea dual 250 watt double ended metal halide (20K) fixture with 4 65 watt power compact bulbs (Found this one used for $150)

Any help would be great with this.

rtparty
08/02/2011, 08:22 PM
3 is for sure out if you want corals.

1 is a decent choice but use ATI bulbs instead. You need all the PAR you can get.

2 sounds like a really good deal as well. Use the current T5's for supplementation.

wavemaker81
08/02/2011, 08:31 PM
3 is for sure out if you want corals.

1 is a decent choice but use ATI bulbs instead. You need all the PAR you can get.

2 sounds like a really good deal as well. Use the current T5's for supplementation.

Yea the #2 option is the leading choice, I think its too good a deal to pass up. Yet, Im looking for input like yours because I don't know much about all the lighting options. I like the shimmer effect of the MH plus the look of the 14K bulbs.

wavemaker81
08/03/2011, 05:10 AM
bump