PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy live rock?

fronty
08/03/2011, 11:34 AM
I want to start a small saltwater tank. I've been reading the book "The New Marine Aquarium." There is a guy locally selling a 120 gallon tank with live rock, overflow, and refugium. There are no lights included. If I buy the setup, I will just use the tank to keep the live rock alive. I don't think the resale value is high on the tank. There is about 80 lbs of live rock. What would be considered a good price for this?

I want to do two 30 gallon setups. I already have the tanks and stands.
Live rock in my area runs $5.99 to $7.99 a pound. I might just buy dry rock and seed it with a few pounds of live. What are your suggestions?

TjwBlake
08/03/2011, 11:50 AM
If you are already planning to use your 30gal tank setup you mentioned.. why not see if buddy will sell you (or give you) a peice of live rock from his setup? then just buy dryrock and seed it with that.

You might even be able to get a scoop of live sand from him as well. no need to get the whole thing if you dont want 120gal just to keep some live rocks.. that would be a lot of space and money to keep running

sporto0
08/03/2011, 12:16 PM
I would think $300-400 would be a fair price, if you plan on keeping saltwater tanks, I would keep that 120g around, before you know it, you will be wanting to set it up & it has sump & refugium set up with it, this will all come in handy for you because this hobby is very addicting & rewarding.

TjwBlake
08/03/2011, 12:20 PM
I would think $300-400 would be a fair price, if you plan on keeping saltwater tanks, I would keep that 120g around, before you know it, you will be wanting to set it up & it has sump & refugium set up with it, this will all come in handy for you because this hobby is very addicting & rewarding.

thats true too...though i dont know what would be a good price in the US as opposed to Canada

plasmacon
08/03/2011, 12:31 PM
For your first tank, you might find it more challenging to use a large amount of dry rock, and seed it with a piece of purple rock. For faster results, which means you will enjoy yourself more and continue with this addiction, a 50/50 ratio or better of live/dry rock is suitable.

You are building a minature ecosystem, and things come to equilibrium much sooner if you put the proper building blocks in place.

SportoO is right, if you don't set up the 120, I would keep it around for future use.

Fish Biscuit
08/03/2011, 01:49 PM
I would consider getting the 120. You will start w/ the 30's & then probably want something bigger like most of us on here. If you go with the 120 then you can use one of the 30's for QT. Water chemistry changes aren't as drastic as they can be with the smaller tanks.

GoIllini
08/03/2011, 01:59 PM
I would buy 3/4 of your rock as dry rock and 1/4 of it as live. The live will help seed the dry and you will eventually have all live rock. It will also be a ton cheaper.

TaNuki
08/03/2011, 02:05 PM
I would offer like $150 and see what they say.

I see liverock go from private tanks for $.50-$2/ lb. If this person wants it out of their house it isn't worth much to them anymore anyway.

fronty
08/03/2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I want to start off small because I may move in the next year. I'm still learning about everything. I have one more question. How likely will it be that I get into live coral? Without any real knowledge of corals, I can not see why so many people are into them. Is there a reason why so many people are drawn to them?

sporto0
08/03/2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the help. I want to start off small because I may move in the next year. I'm still learning about everything. I have one more question. How likely will it be that I get into live coral? Without any real knowledge of corals, I can not see why so many people are into them. Is there a reason why so many people are drawn to them?

Well, simply put a well kept & properly stocked Reef tank is an amazing, awe inspirning thing of beauty. We take a small piece of the ocean & put it in our living room & with dilligent husbandry, along with some fascinating research, we can watch it thrive & observe one of nature's miracles. How's that?