PDA

View Full Version : Run skimmer on Q tank?

btkrausen
08/03/2011, 07:52 PM
I am setting up a quarantine tank using a 40B, and want it up and running long term with using the same level of maintenance as a normal tank.

Should I run a skimmer on this tank? I think I'll only be putting meds in if the fish looks to have something after a few week observance.

Thoughts?

LCP136
08/03/2011, 07:54 PM
I don't think skimmers are generally run on qt tanks, but if its long term, it may not be a bad idea to maintain water quality.

btkrausen
08/03/2011, 07:57 PM
What would be the best way to keep it clean long term without a skimmer and not doing tons of water changes?

I do have an AquaClear 70 with the inTank media basket, but it didn't keep my previous temp tank (40B) that clean by itself.

docstomper
08/03/2011, 10:23 PM
I wouldnt waste your time with a skimmer on a QT.

I have found putting medication in my old tank made my skimmer go crazy and start bubbling and overflowing like CRAZY!! I also felt that it pulled out the medication.

This is the only two drawbacks from using a skimmer on a QT tank.

Lmart
08/03/2011, 10:26 PM
I have a 40B QT that I run a skimmer in ocassionally. I run a remora HOB but not all of the time.

btkrausen
08/04/2011, 06:43 AM
I would obviously turn the skimmer off while I'm dosing any medication, or at least take the top off so it would aerate the water. Thinking off the top of my head, I think Culpramine says it suggests to run a skimmer to help oxygenate the water, but can't remember.

I'm thinking about long term for the tank to keep it going and clean.

thegrun
08/04/2011, 10:23 AM
It's not a problem as long as you turn the skimmer off when medicating. I kept a QT for years with live rock and a skimmer (it kind of morphed into a nano reef tank). If fish or corals showed signs of disease, I set up a separate hospital tank for treatment and left the QT go fallow for 6 weeks. 95% of the time whatever was in QT did not need treatment, so I rarely needed the hospital tank.

btkrausen
08/04/2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks, I think I'm going to go the route of a skimmer in a sump for this tank. Probably go with a Octopus since I LOVE my SRO 3000 INT SSS right now.

sporto0
08/04/2011, 11:46 AM
If you have the room & the money for a skimmer on your QT, go for it, there can be no downside to doing this.

btkrausen
08/04/2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks. I ordered a Super Reef Octopus 1000 Internal today for the tank. Should work out pretty good I think. The quarantine setup should have around 50 gal in it using a 20H as a sump with some acrylic baffles.