PDA

View Full Version : ati sunpower versus power module

soverjas
08/03/2011, 07:53 PM
whats the difference between the two other then the price tag?

Saltwatercoral2
08/03/2011, 07:58 PM
powermodule has a fan for every 2 bulbs i believe. and something like 5% more par. What size fixture you looking at?

soverjas
08/03/2011, 08:08 PM
powermodule has a fan for every 2 bulbs i believe. and something like 5% more par. What size fixture you looking at?

36inch 6bulb. I know a guy that is offering a 1 year old fixture with 6 used and 3 new unopened bulbs for 400. That's really only 50 or 60 off the price of a new fixture w/ 3 new bulbs thrown in. Not sure if it a good deal for a used fixture. I know over time the ballasts start to ware out. At first I thought it was the powermodule fixture which i know retails for the $650 so I thought I was getting a good deal.

so is the only difference fans? I understand cooler bulbs will par higher and last longer but is that the only major difference?

roni
08/03/2011, 08:26 PM
4 major differences that I know of

1) PM has 1 fan per 2 bulbs as stated
2) PM has a slightly more polished exterior and weighs more
3) PM has true parabolic reflectors instead of the slightly bent ones in the SP, resulting in about 5% more output
4) PM costs significantly more and is the only choice for a 10 bulb unit.

In general, I'm not sure a powermodule really justifies the price differential but it's in the eyes of the beholder.

James77
08/03/2011, 08:31 PM
I'd personally go with a brand new fixture rather than just save a few dozen bucks on one.

The PM is a beautiful fixture, worth it if you have the $ to spend. If not, the SP is just as good and still looks great. I owned a PM, and were I to go T5 again, I would get the sunpower. More than enough light from that b

soverjas
08/03/2011, 08:45 PM
The ballast have at least 2500 hours on them then so I am leaning towards this not being a good deal considering the warranty has expired

solitude127
08/03/2011, 09:30 PM
The PMs housing is brushed stainless and SPs housing is aluminum. I have both and prefer the look of the PM.

rtparty
08/03/2011, 09:41 PM
This is straight from ATI's North American website.

"There are three main differences between the Powermodule and the SunPower.

Housing Design
The Powermodule has a more of a Heavy-Duty, Curved Housing, much more sleek than that of the SunPower, which has a bent housing. Both are still made of the same high quality German-made aluminum.

Number of Fans
The Powermodule has more fans than the SunPower, but this is only due to the fact that the Powermodule has a more Heavy-Duty Housing. The Powermodule needs the additional fans in order for the Active-Cooling to function adequately.

Style of Reflectors
The Powermodule has a True Parabolic Reflector, while the SunPower has a Bent Reflector, and again, both are still made of the same German-made Reflective Material.

Now even with the above differences, there is only a 5% difference in performance between the two, making the Powermodule more of the showroom and decorative choice, and the SunPower being the more economical choice."

Both units are made from aluminum but one is more heavy-duty. I don't think the Powermodules are worth the extra money but that is just me. I would get the dimmable Sunpower in a heartbeat for my next tank.

foxrazr
08/03/2011, 10:08 PM
Choices, choices...Was a difficult one for me in the end I went with the 8 x 80w sunpower for my 180 gallon and couldn't be happier.