PDA

View Full Version : Green Haddoni

ct_vol
08/03/2011, 09:12 PM
Well, I broke down and bought a new Green Haddoni... This time I thought I would buy it from a LFS since I didn't have luck with shipping in my Blue specimen... The LFS I bought it from said they had it for the past month... It isn't as sticky as what my blue one came in like, but the mouth is much tighter than my blue one ever was... Anyways, here are a couple of pics... It had been in my tank for about 2 hours at this point... I have dug a depression in the sand bed to help it settle in, but I'm open to any recommendations you guys have to speed the process... :D

These are crappy cell phone pics, I hope to get some better pics up this weekend...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/IMG00113-20110803-2043.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/IMG00115-20110803-2044.jpg

Reef1589
08/03/2011, 09:17 PM
glad to see you bought it :) hopfully this one turns out better then the blue :P

doesnt look to bad so far to me :P

ct_vol
08/03/2011, 09:20 PM
lol I actually went to a different LFS and found this one... :D One of the benefits of traveling for work is I get to hit different LFS depending upon where my clients live...

Reef1589
08/03/2011, 09:34 PM
so it was destiny then :P hahaha.. either way :)

Toddrtrex
08/03/2011, 09:58 PM
Looking pretty good. For the next day or two, I wouldn't worry too much about it being sticky -- I have had them seem to "shut off" (( for lack of a better term )), their stickiness when a bit stressed.

ct_vol
08/04/2011, 07:39 AM
Ok, so how long does it usually take for them to settle in and attach??? I was disappointed this morning to see that it had not yet done so... Should this be a concern to me?

pmrossetti
08/04/2011, 07:51 AM
Man that thing is beautiful.

Toddrtrex
08/04/2011, 08:39 AM
Ok, so how long does it usually take for them to settle in and attach??? I was disappointed this morning to see that it had not yet done so... Should this be a concern to me?

The ones that I have had that were with me long term (( 2+ years )) settled in right away.

Did you turn down the flow at all? IME, that helps them settle in a bit, plus running some fresh carbon and a water change.

ct_vol
08/04/2011, 09:12 AM
Turned down flow before putting it in... Tunze are off, MP40's all the way down... Only significant flow is from the return pump, but that isn't effecting the Haddoni at all... I'll do a water change tonight and change the Carbon immediately... Thanks!!!

ct_vol
08/04/2011, 09:37 AM
Carbon changed... How often do you guys usually change out your carbon??? I only do once a month, but that was just with SPS and a light bioload...

Toddrtrex
08/04/2011, 09:39 AM
About once a month for me too -- though to be honest I haven't run any carbon since the move (( about 6 weeks now )) -- just haven't finished the few minor things on the tanks.

pmrossetti
08/04/2011, 09:41 AM
How long can these live in our tanks?

Years? months?

Toddrtrex
08/04/2011, 09:44 AM
How long can these live in our tanks?

Years? months?

IMO, a couple of years would be considered a failure.

I had one S. Haddoni that was in my care for 12+ years until I messed up and ended up losing it. They should outlive any of us.

elegance coral
08/04/2011, 10:48 AM
I would try to conceal it's foot the best you can. I would dig all the way down to the bottom glass, and place the anemones foot on it. Preferably up against a rock. It's hard to get them to plant their foot if there is water movement on it, and they can't plant their foot to sand.

ct_vol
08/04/2011, 10:49 AM
I'm a bit anxious because I don't think the foot was attached at the LFS either. These darn haddoni's are humbling. I've kept many SPS and have always been confident in bringing corals back to health. Stresses me out. :worried:

elegance coral
08/04/2011, 10:51 AM
IMO, a couple of years would be considered a failure. They should outlive any of us.

Yep. I've had mine for probably 10 years, and it's still going strong. Hopefully I can pass it on to my daughter in another 30 years. It would be nice to know how long they can live in captivity with the absence of predators.

elegance coral
08/04/2011, 10:53 AM
Stresses me out. :worried:

LOL. Trust me, we all feel your pain. Been there done that. I have a magnifica that's on my last nerve right now myself.

ct_vol
08/04/2011, 12:59 PM
I feel like I'm testing my levels, then retesting... Grrrr... It was an LFS bargain, but not if it dies!!! lol

ct_vol
08/04/2011, 06:29 PM
Ok... So I came home from my appointments tonight and it still wasn't attached to the glass through the sandbed... Its mouth was gaping and I figured it was time to remove my 10-12" RBTA as that may be stressing it out... Did my water change and then I moved it to a cleared space on my rockwork... It was a lot more responsive to being touched today than last night, so I take that as a positive... An hour later it has attached itself to the rockwork and I increased the flow from my MP40's to about 25% power... This blew some of the slime off as well as some of the waste it has worked up out of its mouth... It tightened up its mouth a bit too... :) Oh, I forgot to mention I did screen my lights over it this morning as well... :cool:

I know that Haddoni's prefer to live in the sand, but my theory is that it is better to be in the rockwork right now where it can get a foothold than in the sandbed where it currently can't get through the sand... IMO it is less stressful to the Haddoni to be attached as opposed to lying in the sand bed just floating around... I think it may be in a weakened state either from not being fed at the LFS, being under NO lights at the LFS, from being shipped/transported, or a combination of any of the aforementioned... Now that it has attached its foot to the rockwork, it can move about as it wants once it is in the condition to do so... Anyways that is my update for right now... If I have time I will post updated pics later this evening...

ct_vol
08/04/2011, 07:51 PM
A couple of updated pics from this evening... :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/IMG00117-20110804-1958.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/IMG00118-20110804-1959.jpg

Reef1589
08/04/2011, 08:10 PM
the rbta could of had something to do with it.... i know my haddoni was unhappy for 2 months when my rbta's were in my tank.. took em out, and he stopped moving around, and opened up bigger then normal :) but he still attached his foot withen the first 2 days even with the RBTA's.. but mine was from an established tank that was setup for 2 years, instead of from a LFS..

but.. atleast it attached its foot to something.. in theory, it should walk to the snd now.

ousnakebyte
08/04/2011, 08:14 PM
PVC tube, 6-8" in length, 3" diameter, glue pvc cap on one end. Fill with sand, place anemone on top, let it dig its foot in. Once attached in tube, lay tube/anemone on side and decorate the pvc with rocks so you don't see it.

It works - for LTAs, S. haddoni, cerianthids...

Cheers
Mike

ousnakebyte
08/04/2011, 08:14 PM
PVC tube, 6-8" in length, 3" diameter, glue pvc cap on one end. Fill 1/2 to 2/3 with sand, place anemone on top, let it dig its foot in. Once attached in tube, lay tube/anemone on side and decorate the pvc with rocks so you don't see it.

It works - for LTAs, S. haddoni, cerianthids...

Cheers
Mike

elegance coral
08/05/2011, 06:01 AM
Did the anemone crawl that high on the rock, or is that where you placed it? I wouldn't move it now that its foot is attached.

ct_vol
08/05/2011, 08:07 AM
That is where I placed it. I'm not planning on touching it again. If it wants to move, it can. The mouth was tighter this morning. :) it was still attached to the LR even when the MP40's were on 100%.

Is it wrong that I totally want to blow off my appointments and just stay home to make sure my haddoni is ok? ;)

psusocr
08/05/2011, 08:38 AM
I hope it pulls through cause thats a great looking nem!

BonsaiNut
08/05/2011, 09:34 AM
That haddoni isn't going to be happy up on that rock. It wants to be in the sand. It is going to end up in the sand one way or another - and you may not like where it settles; i.e. in the middle of your live rock pile, or close to a prized SPS colony. I would either place it in a good location in the sand, or place it in a PVC pipe section. Trust me on this - haddonis are not rock anemones.

ct_vol
08/05/2011, 11:23 AM
That haddoni isn't going to be happy up on that rock. It wants to be in the sand. It is going to end up in the sand one way or another - and you may not like where it settles; i.e. in the middle of your live rock pile, or close to a prized SPS colony. I would either place it in a good location in the sand, or place it in a PVC pipe section. Trust me on this - haddonis are not rock anemones.

I understand and do trust you on it, but it spent two days in the sand next to the rocks without ever attaching its foot to anything. Is it not better for it to be attached to something rather than just lying in the sand? When it was just lying there I had to keep the tank with little to no circulation. Any waste the haddoni expelled just layed there on it due to the lack of flow. At least where it is I was able to increase circulation thereby improving conditions within the display. I know it will not stay there, but it looks happier now than it had been the past couple days.

Reef1589
08/05/2011, 11:29 AM
i think if its looking good.. just leave it on the rock.. it will walk go to the sand.. it will go where it likes regardless... of where you put it... unless you use the pvc trick..

worse case scenario it crawls down from the rock, and is behind the rockwork, take a few rocks out to retreive it.. lol.. but like mine... walked from the middle of my tank, behind the rocks... along the back wall..to the side of the tank before it was happy.. (you've seen my thread, so you know where it is in my tank) but i think alot had to deal with the RBTA's i had in my tank..

since your RBTA is out now, you could always try placing it in the sand as well, i bet it will attach now..

and no.. its not bad that you wanna blow off all your appointments to make sure your haddoni is doing well haha :P unless your like a heart doctor or something =O

ousnakebyte
08/05/2011, 11:35 AM
it will go where it likes regardless... of where you put it... unless you use the pvc trick..

worse case scenario it crawls down from the rock, and is behind the rockwork, take a few rocks out to retreive it.. lol.. but like mine... walked from the middle of my tank, behind the rocks... along the back wall..to the side of the tank before it was happy.. (you've seen my thread, so you know where it is in my tank) but i think alot had to deal with the RBTA's i had in my tank..

There's a way to prevent all of this...

...or place it in a PVC pipe section.

Seems I've heard this somewhere before. Wait, wait... it will come to me eventually... :rollface:

Reef1589
08/05/2011, 12:16 PM
There's a way to prevent all of this...

Seems I've heard this somewhere before. Wait, wait... it will come to me eventually... :rollface:

ya..i understand there is a way to prevent all this.. but if the foot is attached to the rock, why attempt to try and take it off..and possibly damage it? i mean if he's confident in taking it off without tearing the foot, then do it..

if it was me.. and that rock was somewhat easy to move, id just move that entire rock, and tilt it so the haddoni was atleast touching the sand... it would eventually move its foot to the sand..

Toddrtrex
08/05/2011, 12:19 PM
A piece of PVC pipe, while helpful, won't make the conditions in that spot all of a sudden favorable.

ousnakebyte
08/05/2011, 12:22 PM
No, but when it decides to move from that spot it will be more easily removed, and you can have your setup ready to go.

Cheers
Mike

ct_vol
08/06/2011, 09:21 AM
So to be clear before I even attempt at moving it, you guys think that it is better off floating in the sand than attached to the rock where it is???

I think it is looking good now... It hasn't moved from that spot a half inch... Its mouth is getting nice and tight and it is getting stickier...

I am comfortable trying to move it if the "Haddoni Experts" deem that it necessary... I have very limited experience with these guys, though I have kept BTA's successfully for years upon years.... The only other Haddoni I had was shipped from DD and died within the first week... This one looks much better than that one did...

I still think that if it wanted to move, it would... I've never known an anemone to stay where it didn't want to be... If it is different with Haddonis, then I will move it either this evening or tomorrow... Opinions and expertise is appreciated, though I can't promise it will be followed... ;)

elegance coral
08/06/2011, 10:05 AM
I would not move it. I believe it was a mistake to place it where it is, but uprooting it now will be to stressful IMHO. The anemone will not stay there. It will move.
The anemone can not attach to sand. It has to have a solid surface to attach to. This is why it did not attach while it was in the sand. When it builds up the energy to move, it will head to a spot where it can hide its pedal disk. Most likely the sand below it.

Gill_bucket
08/06/2011, 08:33 PM
Looks happy, I wouldn't move it. I don't own one though.

ct_vol
08/07/2011, 06:09 PM
Well, the haddoni has moved from the rock and its foot is attached to the glass and it is overall looking great... :) Only problem is that it is attached at the front corner of the tank... lol I would mess around with trying to move it, but I'm out of town for work the next week and would rather it stay there and not stinging anything while I'm gone... ;)

ct_vol
08/07/2011, 06:30 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/IMG00120-20110807-1912.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/IMG00121-20110807-1912.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/IMG00122-20110807-1912.jpg

elegance coral
08/07/2011, 07:09 PM
I think it's best that you leave it there for a while anyway. I would probably pile up some more sand around it though.

ct_vol
08/14/2011, 01:06 PM
Ok, thought I'd post an updated pic now that it has settled in... :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/Green-Haddoni.jpg

Gill_bucket
08/14/2011, 01:08 PM
That is amazing!!! I have nem envy. :)

ct_vol
08/14/2011, 01:11 PM
And here's a close up... :hmm1:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j239/ct_vol/Anemones/Close-up.jpg

Pinkskunk
08/15/2011, 09:06 AM
i love it.

Rippinfrags
08/15/2011, 09:10 AM
Wow, those last two pictures are mind blowing, great job!

ct_vol
08/15/2011, 09:31 AM
Wow, those last two pictures are mind blowing, great job!

Thanks!!! My Canon DSLR takes slightly better pics than my Blackberry... ;) I was just too lazy to get it out before this weekend... Its actually the first time I've gotten my Canon out since I moved last year!!!

I'm out of town again this week... Hopefully it will do as well this week in my absence as it did last week... :D

Reef1589
08/15/2011, 11:07 AM
lookgs good ct glad everything worked out =]

125mph
08/18/2011, 11:01 AM
Nice ct_vol! Looks like its finally established. It took a few days for him to settle in.

Did yours ever get inverted at the beginning or was it pretty good but didn't attach right away?

ct_vol
08/18/2011, 12:24 PM
It never inverted, just didn't want to attach right away... :) How's your red doing???

Arkayology
08/18/2011, 01:10 PM
Great looking nem!

125mph
08/18/2011, 03:32 PM
It never inverted, just didn't want to attach right away... :) How's your red doing???

His looking great and getting BIG fast. I did an upgrade to a 120G early this month so I had him transferred to a friend's tank while my new set up settles down and all the new equipment is dialed in.

deangelr
08/18/2011, 03:38 PM
His looking great and getting BIG fast. I did an upgrade to a 120G early this month so I had him transferred to a friend's tank while my new set up settles down and all the new equipment is dialed in.

Good deal.. You really left us hangin there on your last thread..

125mph
08/18/2011, 03:40 PM
Good deal.. You really left us hangin there on your last thread..

Oh lol.. i got real busy with work and I spent my free time building a stand for the new tank :)

ct_vol
08/19/2011, 04:37 PM

Fantastic to hear!!! I'm with deanglr... I was a bit worried when your other thread went without being updated...

ct_vol
08/19/2011, 04:40 PM
So how long are you guys light acclimating your Haddonis??? I know this one was under Normal Output flourescents for over a month at the LFS... It still doesn't like to be out from under my eggcrate shade I've put over it... And even then, it stays fairly plastered against the rock if I only have the one sheet of eggcrate and no additional screening... This anemone has proven more light sensitive than most of the corals I've dealt with... Just wondering what is typical for your timelines... :)

Reef1589
08/31/2011, 07:29 PM
idk a light acclimation time period, i always heard todd say certain amount of screening and remove a layer each week... with that being said i would think certain lighting acclimations could take up to a month or over depending on how many screens you use :P

ct_vol
08/31/2011, 09:22 PM
I think it just needed to be fed... lol Its been expanding for me a lot better since I started feeding it... :)

1swtlx
09/01/2011, 04:44 PM
IMO, a couple of years would be considered a failure.

I had one S. Haddoni that was in my care for 12+ years until I messed up and ended up losing it. They should outlive any of us.

I also have kept mine in excess of 11 years so far. One of the best purchases I've ever made in the hobby. Currently hosts a single Tomato Clownfish under SE 250w MH bulb (10k)

Best of luck!