PDA

View Full Version : Running a skimmer because of feeding on a nano?

JHawlz9989
08/04/2011, 01:28 AM
I have a 20g long with a 4 bulb t5 aquatic life fixture and one mp10 for flow, and an aquaclear 50 for my mechanical and chemical filtration with about 20 lbs of rock for biological. For now with only one clownfish, some GSP and button polyps, weekly water changes seem to be enough for nutrient export as long as I am diligent in siphoning the growing bacteria/detritus and rinsing out my filter sponge.

The tank has been set up for almost 7 months now (although it just went through a move this past weekend), and I am looking into expanding my coral collection. I've picked out a few frags I'd like to get from Dr. Mac's website, which includes a favia, acan, blasto, welso, and some zoas. If I'm going to be feeding my LPS meaty foods, should I invest in a skimmer to help pull some of these nutrients out, outside of feeding time? It seems I can grab a used AquaC Remora Nano for dirt cheap in the FS/T section, which I would do before hand, as well as ditch the stock lights for a set of ATIs. I just want to make sure my tank is truly ready before I invest in corals. Does this seem like a good plan? Will this be too much light/flow for LPS corals (I still haven't determined how much light they really need as answers/pictures/descriptions seem to be conflicting)?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Patriot54
08/04/2011, 01:58 AM
I run a 4 bulb T5 with ATI bulbs, my LPS love it. As for the skimmer, some will tell you that you don't need one, others will tell you that you do. It comes down to how much you like doing water changes really. I run a skimmer because I'm lazy for the most part. Plus I like the benefits.