PDA

View Full Version : anyone have issues with lawnmower/eyelash blenny's and clams?

gig
08/04/2011, 12:43 PM
I came home and noticed my little derasa wasn't extended as usual and noticed my eyelash blenny swimming around it and even landed on top of it, causing it to close up completely.

This might be the last straw with this fish, first he irritates any sand dwelling corals to their death (Fungia, etc) by constantly throwing sand on them, now the clam?

I was secretly wishing the clam clamping down on him and killing him off, that's how much I hate this fish!!!

yeloowtang
08/04/2011, 04:18 PM
i have a tail spoted goby that sits on my clams..they reacted the first time
he did this but now the clams don't even bother with him :)

it's prety cool to see hin sitting on the clams..
not saying your blenny is not going to be a problem,,but it might be worth
checking him out and give him a chance just to see if the clam adapts !!

but if he's killing off other things ,fish him out with a trap and send him off to the lfs :wave:

steff

moliken
08/04/2011, 04:29 PM
my starry blenny and my flame hawk always rest on my clams. same non-reaction as yellow.
i had a sandsifter and celebrated its removal from my tank with a cheer of joy!

lizie58
08/04/2011, 06:01 PM
i have a sleeper banded goby that puts sand on my clams and hovers them they use to close up for a bit but have now pretty much adjusted

dunk373
08/04/2011, 06:38 PM
i think my starry took a bite from my one clam the missing piece fit his mouth perfectly. he bites me all the time too

moliken
08/04/2011, 06:48 PM
i don't believe that for a second.

dunk373
08/05/2011, 11:14 PM
not saying it did it on purpose but might have been picking and got a piece of mantle. Who knows

gig
08/08/2011, 09:12 PM
I moved it and say the other side of the mantle had some pieces missing, it has to be the blenny, but since moving him to the other side of the tank, the clam is open more, but not as much as when I got him. I do have lots of crabs, but I've not seen any on it

moliken
08/09/2011, 04:49 AM
what kinda crabs?? that's my guess, without even seeing the types. gig,if you have a sally, get rid of it. just not seeing anything nip does not meaning nothing is nipping.

gig
08/09/2011, 07:28 AM
no sally's, just blue legs and scarlets...I have a few others that I know are reef safe, some that are maroon and I think one halloween crab. True on the "seeing" part...the only reason I suspect the blenny is that the day it was close up, he was hanging around it alot (never before) and since I moved the clam to the far opposite of the tank, the calm is open more and I ahve yet to see the blenny near him.

moliken
08/09/2011, 03:27 PM
emerald? by any chance? i just find the eyelash blenny harrassing story hard to grasp. resting on the clam is quickly overcome by the clam getting used to visitors. sand spitting though is just awful!

gig
08/09/2011, 03:55 PM
I do have emeralds, but the clam is sitting far enough from my rockwork, I couldn't see them going over there, but maybe at night

moliken
08/09/2011, 04:40 PM
i HAD an emerald until i saw it bite a clam. i had had it for about 6 months and rarely saw it, but... crabs can become nasty as they mature, even emeralds, just saying... i will not have any nonhermits in w/ my clams, and i don't trust most hermits. just me, ya understand?? crabs=jekyll and hyde, imo.

gig
08/09/2011, 06:34 PM
I have 5 emeralds, I bought them when I had some algae problems, they've done a good job, but hope it's not them, how do you even get those out?

moliken
08/09/2011, 07:33 PM
i was lucky and was moving the tank, so it was e z