PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Tree Slime

mvreef
08/04/2011, 07:30 PM
Has anyone experienced slime coming off their kenya tree? It almost looks like the tree is covered in a spiders web. Is this reason to be alarmed?

The coral has been closed up for several days and finally opened up today. It isn't as full as it used to be and some tips have dark spots combined with heavy slime.

Sport507
08/04/2011, 07:34 PM
What type of flow do you have in the tank?

Just2Many
08/04/2011, 07:34 PM
Slime? Pictures help?

john miller
08/04/2011, 07:51 PM
Mine will slime when stressed or if my cleaner shrimp (he's a spaz) climbs all over it. If it just a few tips staying dark mine does that right before it drops.

mattGgator
08/04/2011, 08:00 PM
Corals will slime if stressed. What are your parameters?

89Foxbody
08/04/2011, 08:00 PM
Mine has seemed to be shedding like a leather coral would a few times, and would always come back better than ever once all the dead stuff had sloughed off.

mvreef
08/04/2011, 08:20 PM
What type of flow do you have in the tank?

2x korila 425. Plenty of flow. Tree is in moderate flow now

mvreef
08/04/2011, 08:21 PM
Mine will slime when stressed or if my cleaner shrimp (he's a spaz) climbs all over it. If it just a few tips staying dark mine does that right before it drops.

I've noticed my peppermint climbing all over it before. Is it possible for a peppermint to feed on kenya?

thebkramer
08/04/2011, 08:33 PM
if you're feeding your peppermint "properly" I doubt its feeding on the kenya itself.. but the dead tissue or algae growing on it :)
peppermints can be a hit or miss and DO sometimes eat corals.. keep an eye on it

mvreef
08/04/2011, 08:39 PM
if you're feeding your peppermint "properly" I doubt its feeding on the kenya itself.. but the dead tissue or algae growing on it :)
peppermints can be a hit or miss and DO sometimes eat corals.. keep an eye on it

Thanks for the info. Any clues to look for to see if the peppermint is in fact eating the kenya?

Also, should I be worried about the black tips on much of the tree? Is this possible decay resulting in the slime?

thebkramer
08/04/2011, 08:46 PM
I'd give the kenya a few more days..
Mine would do this sometimes just because. They are very resilent (sp?) corals and can make it through almost anything. Something may be irritating it or may not like the water quality. These are funky corals.. some like "dirtier" water for amazing growth. After some time.. you may find this coral to be a nusiance!! they grow like weeds lol
The black tips you are seeing may be new growth just squeezed up really tight..
IMO I would only worry if the kenya constantly sheds the slime coat often (like every other day)

with the peppermints.. if they are eating it.. you'll be able to tell.. you'll see chunks missing from your kenya. They're serious scavengers lol as long as you're feeding the tank and they are getting leftovers.. they SHOULD leave you're corals alone. There is always that chance though sadly :/