PDA

View Full Version : If you've had a cyano problem or do- please respond

mattGgator
08/05/2011, 08:00 AM
So I have a poll here- please respond if you had a sand sifting goby or star fish or even tons of nassarius at the time you had a cyano issue or if you still have one. Thanks!

reefgeezer
08/05/2011, 08:28 AM
I didn't vote. I don't understand. Are you trying to see what sand sifters battle Cyano well?

Bedroomgangsta
08/05/2011, 08:45 AM
I vote none. I wouldnt want any of my inverts or fish to eat that crap though, let alone I dont think they really will eat it, being its a bacteria and not an algae.

thebkramer
08/05/2011, 08:45 AM
I have all of the above.. but why are you asking?? :)
none of these eat cyano.. they don't stir things up "enough" to stop an outbreak all together..
are you having a cyano issue? what are your water params? how much flow do you have? what water are you using? (ro, tap, etc) what are you feeding/ are you over feeding? do you have a fuge? filtration?
more info will help :bounce3:

Mr.Tan
08/05/2011, 08:52 AM
I have a cyano problem currently... my water parameteres are all 0 , ph is 8.0. I don't overfeed ( i actually cut back). LIghting is only 8 hours a day..and I have solid flow throughout the whole tank.

I just built a sump and am going to be running macro algaes in it. hopefully that should help, along with eventually running a TLF phosban reactor if the macro in the sump and using the skimmer don't clear it up.

PufferNut
08/05/2011, 08:52 AM
My cyano issue was caused from my use of tap water initialy I'm sure
Changed to RO and bye bye cyano. Took a few months to get it all out but worked for me.

mattGgator
08/05/2011, 09:46 AM
It doesn't have anything to do with them eating cyano. It has to do with them contributing to your tank getting cyano. I read an article that associates a loss of microfauna in the sand bed with an increase in cyano in the aquarium. :)
So, if you have any of these creatures and you have cyano please vote which you have or if you don't have any. Sorry, didn't explain it too well in the beginning.

tqpolo
08/05/2011, 10:26 AM
Just do a 3 days light out. All will be gone.

mattGgator
08/05/2011, 10:29 AM
That didn't work for me and it bleached a few of my SPS. 0_o

mattGgator
08/05/2011, 10:30 AM
But I'm mainly interested to see if people with sand sifters that eat microfauna have cyano. I didn't have it until I got a sand sifting goby.

thebkramer
08/05/2011, 10:34 AM
how long have you had the goby?
I also had the same thing happen.. but the goby is kicking up sooo much when it first gets in there.. its bound to happen. I've had my goby about 3 months now and all is well again :)
I had such a horrid outbreak in the beginning that I did the 4 day lights out (4th day with actinics on only) which helped but still had some little patches. But it didn't take over again. My goby is a busy little bee.. but I no longer have sandstorms like I use to from him

mattGgator
08/05/2011, 11:25 AM
I've had the goby about 3 mos probably.

dwarf_angels31
08/05/2011, 12:34 PM
When I switched from ro-di water to tap water my cyano problem stopped within two weeks

Potsy
08/05/2011, 01:20 PM
When I switched from ro-di water to tap water my cyano problem stopped within two weeks

Do you perhaps mean when you switched from tap water to ro-di?

Potsy
08/05/2011, 01:22 PM
The goby might be liberating organics and detritus from the sandbed through its sand-sifting activity.

zigzag1
08/05/2011, 01:43 PM
Another possible choice shouldl be "I used nutrient control/export to solve the problem." As that's how I resolved the problem. Many make the mistake thinking that adding some critter is going to solve the problem, when in reality the long term solution is nutrient control via export. JMTC..

dwarf_angels31
08/05/2011, 03:03 PM
Nope...just how I stated it... I'm not ro-di religious like 95% of rc is. Mabye I just got lucky where my tap water supply comes from? Or tap water is just so frowned uponed that some people can't fathom that it works for others. I just say if something is working for ya then don't change it. I'm not saying ro-di is bad by anymeans, probably just had a bad expierence with where I got it from?

Toddrtrex
08/05/2011, 03:10 PM
Another possible choice shouldl be "I used nutrient control/export to solve the problem." As that's how I resolved the problem. Many make the mistake thinking that adding some critter is going to solve the problem, when in reality the long term solution is nutrient control via export. JMTC..

Shh, don't bring logic and sense into the subject. :)

I sometimes scares me how this is still an issue -- limit the excess nutrients and one shouldn't have an issue; same holds true with true algae issues.

Toddrtrex
08/05/2011, 03:11 PM
Nope...just how I stated it... I'm not ro-di religious like 95% of rc is. Mabye I just got lucky where my tap water supply comes from? Or tap water is just so frowned uponed that some people can't fathom that it works for others. I just say if something is working for ya then don't change it. I'm not saying ro-di is bad by anymeans, probably just had a bad expierence with where I got it from?

If you weren't making it yourself (( meaning purchasing RO/DI water from an LFS )) that could be the root issue.