PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt

smagma
08/05/2011, 12:21 PM
Just bought a bucket for almost $100.00

Don't buy it, the Mag levels are way to low for the price you pay. Everything else is perfect, but that doesn't mean to much if you have to throw a bucket of Mag into your water. Buyer BEWARE!

marc49127
08/05/2011, 01:11 PM
You hear so many bed things about topic marine that I will never buy it!

Allmost
08/05/2011, 01:16 PM

Don't buy it, the Mag levels are way to low for the price you pay. Everything else is perfect, but that doesn't mean to much if you have to throw a bucket of Mag into your water. Buyer BEWARE!

what was the values tested ?

what test kit ?

how many times did you test it ?

I have used it for many years, and its a great salt. very consistent.

sporto0
08/05/2011, 01:17 PM
It's Tropic Marin & if you are unhappy with it, return it, you paid way too much for it anyway, I can buy 2, 200g mix boxes of Reef Crystals for less than $100, delivered even.

Allmost
08/05/2011, 01:22 PM
It's Tropic Marin & if you are unhappy with it, return it, you paid way too much for it anyway, I can buy 2, 200g mix boxes of Reef Crystals for less than $100, delivered even.

what does Tropic marine have to do with Reef crystals ?

its like someone not liking their apples and you advising them to buy watermelons instead !

FYI, RC has a MUCH higher ALK and CA++. and contains Vitamines, something some reefers do not want.

sporto0
08/05/2011, 01:26 PM
what does Tropic marine have to do with Reef crystals ?

its like someone not liking their apples and you advising them to buy watermelons instead !

FYI, RC has a MUCH higher ALK and CA++. and contains Vitamines, something some reefers do not want.

Well sir, seems he does not like those apples, so I gave him another option, BTW, Tropic Marin & Reef Crystals are both salt mixes, so your analogy falls way short of it's intended purpose, it's apples vs apples, not apples vs watermelons. I just said if he's unhappy return it, I did not say you should use what I use. Have a nice day.

Allmost
08/05/2011, 01:32 PM
Well sir, seems he does not like those apples, so I gave him another option, BTW, Tropic Marin & Reef Crystals are both salt mixes, so your analogy falls way short of it's intended purpose, it's apples vs apples, not apples vs watermelons. I just said if he's unhappy return it, I did not say you should use what I use. Have a nice day.

lol I agree, but apples, and watermelon are both fruit, just like RC and TM are both salt :)

TM is made with SPS in lower nutrition system in mind, and has a much more balanced ALK, CA++ and MG++ concentration. IMHO, it is also cleaner, but that's just me.

RC on the other hand, has too much CA++ about 500 PPM I think ? high KH of 10, which is not suitable for SPS in low nutrition systems, and high MG++. and also contains vitamines.

of course RC is agood salt, and I use it on my softies tank, BUT for a lower nutrition system, TM is the way to go, or other salts that have lower and more balance ALK and CA++ :)

sorry if I sounded rude or anything ... meant to be funny and failed :)

sporto0
08/05/2011, 01:38 PM
lol I agree, but apples, and watermelon are both fruit, just like RC and TM are both salt :)

TM is made with SPS in lower nutrition system in mind, and has a much more balanced ALK, CA++ and MG++ concentration. IMHO, it is also cleaner, but that's just me.

RC on the other hand, has too much CA++ about 500 PPM I think ? high KH of 10, which is not suitable for SPS in low nutrition systems, and high MG++. and also contains vitamines.

of course RC is agood salt, and I use it on my softies tank, BUT for a lower nutrition system, TM is the way to go, or other salts that have lower and more balance ALK and CA++ :)

sorry if I sounded rude or anything ... meant to be funny and failed :)

LOL, no worries & fair enough, it's a solid explanation, I have had great success with RC in my SPS dominated Reef, I believe most quality salt mixes will work, I monitor my ca, mag & alk weekly & dose accordingly anyway.

Psyops
08/05/2011, 02:10 PM
I used to use Tropic Marine and found that it had low Mag levels. Around 1170 ppm or so. I found out that Mag test kits are sensitive and they can show false low levels. I replace my Mag kit before the expiration date now. I do think the ELOS kit is more accurate from the Salifert I used to use. So my Mag levels on retest were 1300-1400 level for both those salt mixes. I now use Reef Crystals. I actually don't see a difference in my system with my SPS with either of the salts.

Allmost: you have some valid reasons for the Reef Crystals alk reading. Mine show around 10.8 or so. For some reason it keeps my system healthy. I don't have to add Kalk on top of my calcium reactor.

Allmost
08/05/2011, 02:21 PM
I personally run a Zeovit system on main tank and dose vodka in others, and SPS seem to like KH at 7.0

so when I do water change with RC, I will have to either disconnect the dosing for a day or two, or reduce it ... it also doesnt let me do larger water changes over 10%, as it would trow my KH off .. but at the end, I agree, its a good salt, may have to work around it a bit.

bigger than KH concern, is the vitamins added ! IF corals and organisms do not take it up, it will cause cyano .. this was confirmed by Randy Holmes as well. I personally dont like vitamins in my salt [I like to have control on it and add as needed myself] .. but again, I know many who use it with no Issues ..

lastly, is the preservatives or what ever added to RC and IO salts, leaves a residue at the end of the bucket ? brownish ... TM doesnt have that ! the brownish residue for sure is not a bad thing ... but IME salts that do not have it, are cleaner ...

I will have some more info on salts out soon ! I got a chemist at a local university to do some tests for me, so far, only mercury has been tested, and let me say ... red sea salts, contain 30 times more mercury ! LOL [ I know off topic ... LOL ]

+1 on Elos test kits.

Psyops
08/05/2011, 06:47 PM
That will be interesting what the results would be for the salts. I do have a bucket of tropic marine left. I thought the Mag was low so I bought the Reef Crystals. I have a turf scrubber, so I really don't worry about too much vitamins added. I do not have any cyano issues. Maybe I am lucky, but I feal a healthy turf scrubber can correct most issues. It creates new ones like taking up carbonate, but that's my problem.

Again, it will be interesting to find out what some of these readings are. It's not like the scientists are mixing these batches of salt.

T-Rex
08/26/2011, 09:51 PM

I've heard of this before - thank you.

allsps40
08/26/2011, 10:33 PM
I am just done with the high price " Premium Salts". I am using RSCP now but the alk is 14. I will be going with normal Red Sea from now on. When mixed to 35ppt it is the same as D-D and much cheaper, rumored to be made at the same place. I used Pro Reef in the past and it worked well for low mag demanding tanks that I did in my beginning years. But the price shot up to $100+ and I was done with it.