PDA

View Full Version : How many people run GFO and/or carbon

bamf25
08/05/2011, 08:57 PM
I have a 5 months old tank. The water seems very clear, I have minimal algea growth, but again I have only two fish in my tank. I have not used GFO or carbon yet, and am not sure I need it. So who runs these and must you run them?

rfalvey89
08/05/2011, 09:00 PM
How big is the tank...?
I use a baggie of ROWA & a baggie of Carbon + a reactor with Bio-Pellets

bertoni
08/05/2011, 09:02 PM
I think carbon is good to run as a sort of safety net, and for clearer water. When the tank is young, the water clarity likely won't be an issue, but carbon can remove a reasonable variety of toxic compounds, like some coral allelopathic chemicals, copper that's been bound to an organic, and so on.

indatank
08/05/2011, 09:09 PM
Just started on GFO tonight to fight an algae bloom

Lynnmw1208
08/05/2011, 09:11 PM
I have been running both since month 2 of my tank being up. I had horrible hair algae due to phosphates leeching from my BRS rock. I'm not sure if I still need it, but I'm afraid to take it off. I want to move to biopellets soon hopefully.

bamf25
08/05/2011, 09:14 PM
My tank is 120g.

redfishblewfish
08/05/2011, 09:51 PM
More info needed....is your tank a FOWLR or REEF tank. FOWLR's can be run much "dirtier" than a reef tank. In addition, only two fish for a 120 gallon tank. If you are doing weekly water changes, you probably don't need all the other crap, such as a refugium and/or skimmer.

klepto
08/05/2011, 10:11 PM
So who runs these and must you run them?

I run both. My tank has have never looked better. I highly recommend giving Bulk Reef Supply's reactors and media a try.

I use BRS's ROX carbon (best on the market that I have found) and the pellet GFO in a single reactor.

The media is affordable and the standard reactor functions very well for my needs. My mixed reef is basic, and moderately stocked. The addition of the reactor has benefited the health of all my corals and improved water quality to a significant extent. I can feed my animals more consistently without sacrificing water quality.

Considering the small investment, and high success rate - running carbon and GFO in a fluidized reactor is a fundamental part of my methodology.

Felixc395
08/05/2011, 10:25 PM
My BRS reactor and BRS GFO works very well. I'll have to give the carbon a try soon! Overall, my phosphates went from over 0.14 to ~0.02 in two weeks with two cups of GFO. GFO is great!

bamf25
08/06/2011, 10:55 AM
What about the lignite carbon as opposed to the ROX carbon. Is Rox really worth twice the cost?

bertoni
08/06/2011, 02:10 PM
Well, that depends on what's in the tank. You could try the lignite and see whether the tank water is clear enough to suit you and whether there's any signs of allelopathy.

Xler8n
08/06/2011, 02:17 PM
Just ordered a GFO reactor and GFO from the BRS group buy. I tested my phosphates last week and they were at .25. Im guessing since i had a FOWLR before and was using treated tap water there were some phosphates remaining. I always wondered why i didnt get great color from my SPS. I dont have an algea problem either. For carbon i have a bag of chemi pure in my sump. First time using carbon ane GFO so we'll see.

MHG
03/27/2012, 04:32 PM
I have been running both since month 2 of my tank being up. I had horrible hair algae due to phosphates leeching from my BRS rock. I'm not sure if I still need it, but I'm afraid to take it off. I want to move to biopellets soon hopefully.

I had the same issue with the BRS rock. I am told by some that the GFO may be causing my zoas to stop growing. I need to get some cheato and try to stop the GFO for a while...

klepto
03/27/2012, 04:45 PM
I am told by some that the GFO may be causing my zoas to stop growing. I need to get some cheato and try to stop the GFO for a while...

Huh? That sounds like pure speculation to me. I've never seen any negative impact of running GFO on polyps. All of my corals have improved in color and health. In fact, I've noticed improved growth rates with polyps since running GFO and ROX carbon in a single BRS reactor. I'm not trying to dissuade you from running cheato. I just think it's doubtful that GFO is to blame for slow polyp growth.

MHG
03/27/2012, 04:50 PM
Well, I have a lighting issue that I suspect. I am waiting for my clubs PAR meter so I can stop guessing...

trampa4
03/27/2012, 04:55 PM
l have a 55 g tank and use reactor gfo and coal but l still have my problem of cyano bactera

klepto
03/27/2012, 06:37 PM
Well, I have a lighting issue that I suspect. I am waiting for my clubs PAR meter so I can stop guessing...

Hope you didn't take that the wrong way... I was just trying to add some perspective. Good luck sorting things out.

l have a 55 g tank and use reactor gfo and coal but l still have my problem of cyano bactera

I'm in a similar boat. Although I assume you mean GAC by "coal". I recently changed up my DI water to a reliable source (running through two DI resins) and finally my cyano is starting to slow down. I think keeping up with changing the media is important too. Simply running the media and expecting things to take care of themselves isn't going to work all the time. Reef tanks are too complex for that to be the case.

Be sure that your source water is in fact 0ppm in TDS.