PDA

View Full Version : Times I am SO glad I keep corals and not fish-only...

Sk8r
08/06/2011, 08:40 PM
The story starts with new kitten and window-painting. We have to keep the basement door (where the sump is) shut for fear of kitten-mayhem.
I haven't checked my topoff reservoir under as close observation as usual---and we've been busy outside with renovating some old wooden windows.
Things seemed fine this morning.
This afternoon, every coral in the tank was sliming like mad, the tank was full of slime and bubbles, the starry blenny was lying on the Sea Swirl outlet looking dead, and there was no other fish in sight.

Feared paint fumes might be at issue---but ran downstairs to discover the topoff reservoir probably ran dry a week ago. The sump level was way down---meaning evaporation had taken my tank down to the point the pump was having issues and the salinity was concentrated and through the roof.

I grabbed a gallon pitcher and a barrel of ro/di fresh water and poured about 4 gallons into the system (54 g tank, 30 g sump). Waited a while and the blenny got off the outlet and the damsels showed up. I poured in more water downstairs and started tuning the skimmer to get back into action. Every little bit, more ro/di. By the time I'd hit halfway to normal (from the disaster point) the corals had stopped sliming and the skimmer was operational (low water level throws it)---

This evening the skimmer is busy pulling crud, the fish are out and happy again, and the corals are fine. I don't think I lost anything. If corals weren't 'noisy in their behavior' and inclined to be mine-canaries (you know, the innocent birds in cages miners used to carry to detect gas: if the bird fell off its perch, you head outa there)---I wouldn't have known until I had dead fish. As was, the corals react fast when things get to a tipping point, or close to it. No credit to me---and all credit to a big bank of hammer and frog doing their jobs---nothing died, nothing's even seriously put out.

This is why though some people are scared of corals as if they're hard to keep---I really rely on them as a barometer of what's going on in the tank. In this case they saved the tank.

And I've resolved not to get that distracted by the renovation again.

lacosta28
08/06/2011, 09:06 PM
I am so happy to hear you had a happy ending to this story Sk8r. I advise people I have met that have FOWLR tanks to at least keep a small rock with mushrooms for this reason. I can't take any credit for it either, I once saw you mention this little bit of advice.

thebkramer
08/06/2011, 09:24 PM
PHEW!! So happy to hear all turned out okay!!!! :bounce3:
I too always look to my corals for a "heads up" ;)
So glad you didn't lose any of your loves!!!!

Sk8r
08/06/2011, 10:33 PM
I really despaired when I saw it, because the upstairs was full of paint and acetone fumes---I was HOPING to find something wrong downstairs, and to find it was 'only' the topoff was one thing: to find the Iwaki pump running half dry, the tank full of coral spit and the skimmer with too low a water level to work...well, that was a little more exciting. But we're still looking good.

Anyone who thinks to copy my rapid fix, note that I have an 80 gallon total system, and replaced 4 gallons right off, then waited 30 minutes and repeated the process---sort of like a massive acclimation without, of course, the chance of bag ammonia---but with the sliming going on. Don't try this at home---
Talk about what a good diy guy could rig, is a float switch connected to an alarm: ie, if the sump gets low, it notifies you with a distinctive beep.

Raggamuffin
08/06/2011, 10:45 PM
upside down float switch, when the water level gets low enough for the float to pop "up" completes circuit to a smoke detector with the test button glued down...

Sk8r
08/07/2011, 12:31 AM
Sounds like an idea, for sure!

dzfish17
08/07/2011, 01:39 AM
Im sorry for your close call but this experience can help other aquarists learn something about keeping an eye on their tank. With all the devices that help an aquarists (ato) mistakes can and will happen... just the way things go.

As part of our maintenance schedule we need to check on our tanks regularly. This is a perfect example of why I do the top off myself. Sometimes we get in the habit of counting on our equipment to take care of these simple chores but it doesnt hurt to check on all (even RO/DI reservoir) equipment daily.

I made it a habit to check on the water level and give the tank a once over every morning before leaving for work.

I appreciate the honesty by Sk8r because these things happen to all of us and sometimes the outcome is catastrophic.

Sk8r
08/07/2011, 10:30 AM
Yep, Life has a way of getting complicated, and your tank becomes the victim. Somebody gets seriously ill, you enter a business crisis, you're in a weather or earthquake zone---and there you are. Which leads me to a point I'm going to make another post on---the point being---be prepared! And check often---and watch your corals!

Sugar Magnolia
08/07/2011, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear all turned out fine. I too watch my coral's behavior as a barometer of health. I don't advize those new to the hobby to do this though. Testing is the only way to truly know for sure. We old timers though... ;)

Sk8r
08/07/2011, 03:49 PM
There's certainly a learning curve...simple mushrooms are best for novices: or zoas; and hardly any fish will eat them. F'gosh sakes don't start with sps corals. If you can keep them fully expanded, and learn to detect the sulk of 'mad mushroom' from across the room, you can really use them as a test device. You ought, of course, to be keeping a log book of your REAL tests---it's hard to log shrooms---so you can watch the trends and map RATES at which things change in your tank --- shrooms are lousy at dates and notes---but they'll at least tip you off that "Somethin' ain't right...."