PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Lionfish

Turbo snail
08/06/2011, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I was at the LFS today picking up some de-chlorinator and I saw a beautiful 2-inch long dwarf lionfish. I have been looking around online and it seems that these fish will not bug any of my corals, but I was wondering if one could eat any of my fish. In the 90 gallon reef tank that I hope to add it to, I have a blue hippo tang and a pink spotted shrimp goby that I think would be big enough to not be threatened, but I also have a pair of adult Percula clowns, a longnose hawkfish, and a trio of adult green chromis that I am not so sure would be safe. I have had all of these fish at least two years and the smaller ones are all at their adult sizes. I am quite sure they could not fit in the lionfish's mouth currently but what are the chances of some of these guys disappearing in several months when this lion has grown?

Thanks,

Turbo Snail

thebkramer
08/06/2011, 09:31 PM
:bounce3: WELCOME TO RC & THE ADDICTION!!! :bounce3:

first.. a blue hippo in a 90g is a big No No!!! They get waaay to big for such a small tank... they need LOTS of swimming room!!
when it comes to lionfish... their mouths open wider than their bodies lol If the fish can fit in its mouth.. the lionfish will eat it.. and sometimes will try to eat something that can't fit in its mouth.. crazy little buggers!!
I would fear it grabbing your goby and the chromis.. maybe the clowns if they don't have an anemone...
Good Luck ;)

Turbo snail
08/07/2011, 08:27 AM
Hey Thebkramer,

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I know the blue hippo tang will eventually get far too large for my aquarium, he was a rather foolish impulse buy when I still believed that fish only grew to the size of their tanks. Fortunately I got him extremely small, and at this point he is only a bit bigger than my female clown. I think that he should still be fine in my tank for a while, but when he is too large I have a close friend with a 240gal. reef system who has made it very clear to me that he will be extremely happy to buy the tang from me when it gets too big.