PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone an opinion

VitalApparatus
08/07/2011, 11:00 AM
AZ-NO3

This new product says it uses cellular respiration to bring nitrate levels to zero.
Anyone used it ?

HighlandReefer
08/07/2011, 11:45 AM
They don't provide ingredients for this product. From the description it sounds like they use a carbon source like vinegar or vodka, which reduces nitrate by skimming bacteria out of the system. I have not used it, I prefer vinegar myself for reducing nitrate.

VitalApparatus
08/07/2011, 11:54 AM
Well I use biopellets but I was thinking this was different from carbon dosing...
"The active ingredient in our product is Cozymase which functions in the oxidation of proteins and of many other compounds important in the intermediary metabolism and the resulting active enzyme Maltase in the aquarium"

HighlandReefer
08/07/2011, 12:21 PM
I can't find any information from scientific literature regarding the effect of Cozymase and/or Maltase on coral coloration or other aspects, as is described by the manufacturer.

I am in the dark regarding this product and its possible effects on a reef system, other than the possibility that the ingredients are used as a carbon source.

HighlandReefer
08/07/2011, 12:25 PM
Does the manufacturer site any unbiased research regarding the effects of their product?

dlterry85
08/07/2011, 02:45 PM
i have a friend with a fowlr tank that uses this product. he says it works, but ya gotta remember this is a temporary fix. it can be pricey dosing this all the time at $20 a bottle. you gotta find out whats causing the high levels and fix it. jm2c

bertoni
08/07/2011, 03:04 PM
I agree that it might be a carbon source. If so, it'd be similar to dosing vodka or vinegar. Otherwise, I don't know what it's intended to do.

tmz
08/07/2011, 06:40 PM
Cozymase was formerly known as Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide,NAD+It is in every living cell and formed from aspatric acid or tryptophan another ammino acid. Some vitamin B3 is also involved. From what I could find it is important in redox reactions. The fromula for it is C21H27N7O14P2. Seems like it could be a product from bacterial activity related to a carbon source in the product as it has lot's of C and some N and P.

AZNO3 has been around for years . It is pricey but gets good reviews as a nitrate reducer. Probably a carbon source but specifically not known.

spc1spc1
08/08/2011, 04:51 AM
I've used this for years, mainly in my fish only system with live rock. I do one round of treatment and I'll have no no3 for about a year afterwards. I have also used it in my mixed fish and reef tanks with the same results. I have never lost anything or had any thing bad happen from it either. I think its a good product. I did put 2 of my systems on bio pellets with the same results.