PDA

View Full Version : Tomini tang

Megatrev62
08/07/2011, 06:24 PM
Thinking of getting this tang for my 75 since I had to remove my chocolate due to aggression. I've seen it on some you tube vids and even though it is a little drab what do you think of this tang for hardiness? Owners? Thanks

It will be between the tomini or kole tang? Which would be better for overall hardiness? Thanks

TruespeedEM1
08/07/2011, 06:30 PM
I had one (Tomini) and it killed a couple fish, including a blue jaw trigger. I dont know what its problem was, but I will never own another one again.

I have looked online and a lot of people have had aggression problems, as well as others having no problems, so I guess its hit or miss

Green_Reefer
08/07/2011, 07:05 PM
Two months with a Tomini, my sub-male lyretail anthias puts the chase to him a couple times a day. Everyone gives the Tomini lots of space in the tank and he doesn't bother anyone, other than the odd flash when he decides to stand up to the lyretail. Overall it is a lot better looking in person than in photos, and I am very happy with the purchase.

I would recommend a well established QT though, mine looked horrible in QT, water parameters were bang on but without rock and algae to graze off in he quickly went down-hill. I broke the cardinal rule and moved him to the DT without any issues and he recovered very quickly. Lot's of other posts on Tomini's report similar issues with freshly set up QT's.

Megatrev62
08/07/2011, 07:12 PM
The habitants are 2 yellow tails, 2 false percs, bi-color blenny and a marine betta. What do you think? Only one or 2 other fish going in for completion. Want to purchase black cap,(or royal gramma),the tang and maybe an angel of some sort. All fish to be purchased together.

Megatrev62
08/07/2011, 07:42 PM
Two months with a Tomini, my sub-male lyretail anthias puts the chase to him a couple times a day. Everyone gives the Tomini lots of space in the tank and he doesn't bother anyone, other than the odd flash when he decides to stand up to the lyretail. Overall it is a lot better looking in person than in photos, and I am very happy with the purchase.

I would recommend a well established QT though, mine looked horrible in QT, water parameters were bang on but without rock and algae to graze off in he quickly went down-hill. I broke the cardinal rule and moved him to the DT without any issues and he recovered very quickly. Lot's of other posts on Tomini's report similar issues with freshly set up QT's.

Ordering from j&l so would you recommend straight to DT? Tanks is well established. Water is excellent and dead on. QT has been running for about 3 weeks with water from display and hob filter with some pvc and tuffa rock?

Green_Reefer
08/08/2011, 01:18 PM
Your QT sounds pretty well established with LR in it, so definitely QT. Play it by ear from there, I took a risk introducing a tang without proper observation, never saw any signs of ich, velvet or any other disease on the Tomini when transferred to the DT, just lethargic behaviour and some fin rot.

He gets along superbly with a mandarin, yellow assessor, 4 anthias, 2 wrasse's, 3 firefish and 2 dwarf/pygmy angels. He is just over 3" long right now, so time will tell.

honcho
08/08/2011, 04:07 PM
Have had a Tomini Tang for a few months now in my 150 gallon tank and the longer it is in there the more aggressive it becomes. It now chases every fish in the tank and has recently started relentlessly chasing my bi-colored foxface even though the foxface is twice the size. My Tomini is about 3.5 inches in size. Has become very territorial, I changed rockwork in tank hoping to reduce aggression but that had no effect really. Am starting to think about re-homing it. Beautiful fish but doesnt really eat much algae off rocks and beats up everyone now.

They do seem to be a hardy fish, I had tried 2 kole tangs in the past but they never got out of quarantine. Tomini purchased from DD, one of the Kole tangs was purchased thru DD also and didnt handle shipping well at all and was a doa.

Bax
08/09/2011, 06:28 AM
I have a Tomini that I added about 6-8 months ago, it is now just at about 3". It is in a 75 frag tank with a Tomsoni tang, flame angel, and pair of O. Clowns. So far he's been a real good tank mate and definitley the most cautious fish in the tank. Picks at the glass more so then the rock but cleans all day. A very good looking fish!

SDguy
08/09/2011, 07:36 AM
I've had a tomini for several years now. He was one of the very first fish in the tank. He's now about 5-6". He gets along fine with a powder blue, a pair of genicanthus angels, and a yellow longnose butterfly... along with a bunch of smaller fish like anthias and wrasses. Note: prior to removal from the tank, a saddleback butterfly used to actually chase the tomini. It's a 150g tank.

usatennisfan
08/09/2011, 03:11 PM
I have no problems with my Tomini at all. He is in my 56 column with a clown pair, red parrot fairy, file fish pair, and lantern toby.

ALH
08/09/2011, 03:30 PM
I've had mine for about 3 years in my 180 with no issues

Megatrev62
08/09/2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the insight. I am leaning towards this fish it really does look nice.Will decide soon anyway. Thanks again.