PDA

View Full Version : Help with QT

RobynJ
08/07/2011, 07:58 PM
I am not new to saltwater, just the QT process. I ordered a pair of designer clowns and I have decided to start using a QT. Wednesday I started a 10 gallon. I used the water from my display and squeezed the filter into a bucket and dumped it into the QT (the water was yucky looking). I have been "feeding" the tank for 4 days. I just checked the ammonia, it tested .50. My question is, with the ammonia showing up that quickly, will my tank be ready for my new arrivals on Tuesday? Nitrates and Nitrites are still at zero. Do I need to continue to feed my QT? Any input is appreciated.

rayn
08/07/2011, 08:13 PM
Try putting some amquel in there. It should bind the ammonia, then do a large water change. Quit feeding the tank if there is nothing in there to eat it, that is where the ammonia is coming from.

I'm guessing you are using a hob filter. Place the pad in your tank or sump till your fish arrive, then purity in your hob.

RobynJ
08/07/2011, 08:25 PM
Thank you for your reply. I am using a HOB in my QT, the filter floss was put in the sump on Wednesday (its still there because I wanted as much beneficial bacteria as possible). If I do a water change right now am I disrupting the cycle because I have not had a reading on nitrates or nitrites?

rayn
08/07/2011, 08:39 PM
What is in your QT? If it is empty except for the hob you are creating the cycle. The cycle comes from die off and waste created from either live(dead) rock, sand, or starting it somehow. If you have a bare bones, bare bottom, no LR tank there is nothing to cycle. Remember water is water it doesn't contain the bacteria.

RobynJ
08/07/2011, 08:48 PM
There is nothing in there except a hob, with a carbon/filter. The floss filter is still in my display. Will it be ok to add my new fish on Tuesday if I add the floss filter, amquel and do a water change? How much water should I take change? I am sorry I am making this so difficult but I want to make sure I do everything right. I cannot remember my display being this difficult!!

rayn
08/07/2011, 08:55 PM
Okay here is what I do with a new fish. Some agree some don't, but I haven't lost a fish since going this route.

Fill tank with water and the needed salt and mix to correct salinity. Start hob filter usually with a new filter. I may let it run a day or two before fish, but not always. Add fish and dose with Seachem stability per directions if not more. Follow bottle directions for the seven days while monitoring ammonia. Works like a charm.

As for yours I would change water, add the amquel per directions, when fish arrive use the stability per directions. You can change as much as you want, up to 100%. If ammonia issues are present with the the fish present you can change down to where they just stay upright. Removing water removes contaminates, but does nothing to add bacteria.

RobynJ
08/07/2011, 09:07 PM
ok thank you ray you have been a huge help!!

rayn
08/07/2011, 09:12 PM
I lost a fish in QT to jumping. I saved her from lfs death due to popeye, cured and ready to move out right before the jump and she only cost me 18 bucks. I'm sure your designer clowns cost a bit more then that and would really blow to loose them.

Happy to help and good luck, just post up some pics when you get them!

bnumair
08/07/2011, 09:21 PM
i am not much advocate of chemicals for cure ammonia or nitrites. water changes are much better option. if u do few water changes u will bring ur ammo down to 0. and then after introducing new live stock continue water changes till water is stable enough to support live stock. do keep checking ammo and nitrites just before every water change so u know how much ur readings are every 24 hrs before change.

Reefing Newbie
08/08/2011, 12:31 PM
I don't want to high jack the thread, but I was wondering if you put the fish in QT and treat for external/skin parasites for the first week to be sure there is nothing or you put fish in there and treat as needed? I just put a pair of true perc clowns in a 12 gal QT. I was asking because I have read that ich can reside in the gills of the fish without you knowing.

bamf25
08/08/2011, 12:37 PM
I don't want to high jack the thread, but I was wondering if you put the fish in QT and treat for external/skin parasites for the first week to be sure there is nothing or you put fish in there and treat as needed? I just put a pair of true perc clowns in a 12 gal QT. I was asking because I have read that ich can reside in the gills of the fish without you knowing.

It can be hard to see in the gills. Look for increase respiration rate, and redness in and around the gills.

rayn
08/08/2011, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't treat unnecessarily. New fish in a newish tank are already stressed, no reason to add to it if you don't have too. Good observation will help you out here.

bnumair
08/08/2011, 02:11 PM
no need to stress the fish. u can only see ich in its last stages when its white round spots. u need to QT ur fish for 3 weeks minimum to notice anything wrong with them.