PDA

View Full Version : # LED's on QT tank?

AC2020x
08/07/2011, 11:25 PM
I just finished a DIY LED light for my 29g reef and would like to make a small one that will keep corals alive in 5-10gallons. They will probably be kept in QT for 6ish weeks however do not need to thrive or grow like after I transfer them to my display.

Any suggestions? Do you think 6 LED's will be enough for this purpose. 3 cool white and 3 royal blue? Or should I shoot for more?

Thanks,
-AC

TheFishTeen
08/07/2011, 11:40 PM
Think or it this way:

Theres 120 watts in an AI sol fixture, but those have very powerful lenses on them.
Other LED fixtures i know of use 2W LEDs without lenses but there is a very good amount of them. If you can get a hold of 2W LEDs, about 20 of them over a 10 gallon tank should sustain coral...

oscar.millan
08/08/2011, 12:24 AM
Should be fine, I don't think you would need any more. What kind of corals are you thinking?

AC2020x
08/08/2011, 07:59 AM
Should be fine, I don't think you would need any more. What kind of corals are you thinking?

I'm new to keeping any kinds of corals so I'm gonna start out easier probably with some zoas. Then move on to some softies... I would really like to get either a frogspawn or hammer coral of some sort.

Possibly a clam but that would be a while down the road!

NanoReefWanabe
08/09/2011, 09:37 AM
I'm new to keeping any kinds of corals so I'm gonna start out easier probably with some zoas. Then move on to some softies... I would really like to get either a frogspawn or hammer coral of some sort.

Possibly a clam but that would be a while down the road!

zoas are softies, and frogs and hammers are LPS...but anyway...

i have 6 LEds over my 5g tank and it is barely enough light to keep everything happy...i would look at getting 9 leds minimum...another easier option is to use a PAR30 or 38 LED bulb, one of those should pack enough punch to keep anything you want happy. (and cost about the same)

AC2020x
08/09/2011, 01:37 PM
Yes, this is very tempting to get for me! It seems like it could be a tiny bit more pricy but it seems like it would be perfect for a QT tank.

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-141/%28New%29-7-LED-PAR38/Detail

NanoReefWanabe
08/09/2011, 03:00 PM
Yes, this is very tempting to get for me! It seems like it could be a tiny bit more pricy but it seems like it would be perfect for a QT tank.

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-141/%28New%29-7-LED-PAR38/Detail

try to build it yourself for under that...
you need a meanwell driver ~ 25 bucks
you need a heatsink ~ 20 bucks
you need thermal paste or adhesive 5 bucks
you need 4 or 5 royal blue LEDs ~ 20-25 bucks
you need 2 or 3 cool white LEDs ~ 12-18 bucks
you need wire
oh yeah and you need to have everything shipped (some might be free but most wont) ~ 20 for everything

a fixture goes without saying as you need one either way
thats the way i look at it anyway...i am wishing i have of just got a PAR38 for my 5G

to each their own though i like to build stuff...

AC2020x
09/23/2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah, it sounds fun to build however now that summer is over I don't think I would have the time for it. I built my own LED fixture over my 29g. For this I think I'm just gonna get the PAR bulb... plus its not too much more expensive than building it yourself.