PDA

View Full Version : Air buildup in nitrate reactor

SpareParts
08/08/2011, 09:49 AM
I'm hoping this is the right place for this question.

I have a Geo PA-GEO-NR418 de-nitrate reactor, filled with 50% sulfur media and 50% calcium reactor media. I have it running at a slow drip and every two days or so, a pocket of air builds up under the bottom of the media below the sponge. At least I think it's air. I unplug the circulation pump, tilt it a bit and let the air escape to the surface of the reactor, which I then let out by disconnecting the effluent line. Only reason I do this, is sometimes the air pocket gets so large, it goes below the intake of the circulation pump and then the pump starts to make a racket.

So I dunno, maybe I have it set up wrong, or maybe there's some reaction taking place? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

bertoni
08/08/2011, 08:27 PM
That's interesting. The air might be coming from bubbles in the input. I guess I'd try looking into that. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the source would be.

UVvis
08/09/2011, 08:30 AM
Sulfur based denitrification should release N2 gas.

tmz
08/09/2011, 09:51 AM
I'd guess it's N2 gas .Many reactors have a degassing valve at the top which is where the gas should go. Don't know your specific unit and why gas whether air or N2 it's hanging at the bottom though.
Could be some air bubbles coming in from the feeder pump.

iLLwiLL
08/09/2011, 10:44 AM
mine has been up for around a month now and does that a few times after I adjust the flow. every time I clear out the air (or whatever it is) I shake the reactor some to release any more trapped air in the media.

~Will.

sundevil753
08/09/2011, 11:14 AM
you need to increase your drip rate; check your effluent for nitrates, if none once again increase.

Mark