PDA

View Full Version : Silicone?

HulaDad
08/08/2011, 06:05 PM
Tried to find a calculator, but no luck. How many 10.1 oz tubes of silicone would you suggest to build a 96x36x28 tank. I want to make sure I get enough to not run out, but not have 5 tubes left over. I'm thinking of using RTV 108 any other suggestions and where is a good place to get them from? Thanks

oldezra
08/08/2011, 06:51 PM
I would just try to find a local source for the silicone so you can return any unused tubes.

NanoReefWanabe
08/08/2011, 08:18 PM
gonna need a little more info then the tank dimensions....

1> how thick of glass are you using?
2> part in parcel with #1 is the tank going to be braced? top? bottom? both? cross braces?
3> are you building an internal and external overflow? just internal? just external? how big?

on a side note running short is not a huge deal...other then you have to wait and pay shipping for a second order...as it is not imperative that the tank be constructed in one sitting...you could build it one panel at a time if you wanted to...

having too much isnt really an issue either as you will likely build a sump too, then who knows what else...

with 3/4" glass you might get about 10-12' of bead per tube i would think...you get about 25' with a 3/8's bead. and likely around 15-18' with a half inch bead...it is not set in stone though...will you be using plastic spacers to make sure the silicone stays in the joint rather then being squished out by the weight of the glass or clamping force. are you building the tank around the bottom or on top of it?

as for a local source Graingers is the go to place...if you dont have them nearby then fastenall might carry it too...otherwise you will have to order from graingers online or mcmaster

HulaDad
08/08/2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your reply...

1. 1/2" glass.
2. 2" braces around bottom perimeter and solid sheet of 1/2" glass on top with cutouts, much like acrylic tanks are done, but with glass.
3. Two internal center overflows, not sure of the size yet, still in planning.

You have a good point about having too much silicone. I'm always doing something with glass, sump or ro/di storage wise. Would the same footage per bead apply to 1/2" glass?

Thanks

jkcoon
08/08/2011, 08:52 PM
Ditto on buying too much.... I worked in hardware stores for years before graduating college and always used to laugh when people would make 10 trips to complete one plumbing job...they'd return time and time again to buy $.25 pvc fittings... I always encouraged people to buy more than they need and return the extra... figure that only takes two trips...

HulaDad
08/08/2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks NanoReefWanabe, there is a Grainger's local to me, so I will head up there and see. It would be great if they will let me return any unused tubes. I don't mind buying too much of something, but at $10 a tube I don't want to have $50 worth of too much laying around going to waste that I can't return... I'm actually going to be building the tank on top of the bottom and using glass uv bonding tape as extra structural support and a spacer. The tape is only a 1/16" thick by 1/8" wide, so that will allow me to also surround it and fill in the gaps with some quality silicone.

NanoReefWanabe
08/09/2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks NanoReefWanabe, there is a Grainger's local to me, so I will head up there and see. It would be great if they will let me return any unused tubes. I don't mind buying too much of something, but at $10 a tube I don't want to have $50 worth of too much laying around going to waste that I can't return... I'm actually going to be building the tank on top of the bottom and using glass uv bonding tape as extra structural support and a spacer. The tape is only a 1/16" thick by 1/8" wide, so that will allow me to also surround it and fill in the gaps with some quality silicone.

never done the UV glass bonding though i hear good things about it, i would look for thicker tape to do the entire thickness of the glass though, then just use the silicone around inside for a waterproof seam. and then you only need a less then a 1/4" bead of silicone around the whole tank (1/8" or so on either side of the intersecting panels.) i dont think i would mix the two (tape and silicone) for structural purposes as the silicone may interfere with the tape if it squeezes out on to it. you need a really good glass guy, UV bonding requires absolutely perfect polished edges and absolutely true (square pieces) glass.

as for having WAY too much...and not being able to return it...you could always sell it on fleabay or right here in the classified section...there is always people looking to get it.

best of luck this sounds like a great project. i love the idea of a single CNC'd piece for the top..

Biggar
08/09/2011, 08:55 AM
I made a 30 gallon Sump with 4 baffles(1/4 inch). Took about 3/4 of one tube. GE #1 silicone(door and window). I posted the DIY in a thread. Good Luck
Mike

HulaDad
08/09/2011, 10:01 AM
I'm a CNC programmer for a glass distributor, that's what gave me the idea of a solid top CNC'd. I'm probably going to do my own polishing, drilling, and CNC work on this to make sure I get it perfect. I used the uv tape on my diy led fixture to fasten painted glass to the heatsink. The stuff holds great, but there is still a little play in it which has me worried, but I didn't use the uv light on it either. I'm going to make a small tank and play with the uv tape to check it out before going full scale.

I'll probably just get excess silicone and sell the left overs like you suggested. Best route I think. Do you think the RTV 108 is still the best to use?

I will start a build thread when I get started, including the polishing, drilling, and cnc process to document. I got my glass yesterday, enough Starphire to do the front, back, two sides, and top. I'm excited and can't wait to get to work on this thing. Thanks