PDA

View Full Version : Anthelia Frag / Removal

flyer20200
08/08/2011, 07:40 PM
For those of you that decided once in your hobby career that Anthelia/Waving Hand/ looked nice...you soon found out that they look nice in small patches...not half the tank.

After some research and several attempts months ago, I may have found the solution. I came across it by happenstance, but it was miraculous.

Many people say use kalk paste or a razor blade to remove the polyps. Arguments are made about the pH swings and the inevitable loose polyp that ends up somewhere else in the tank.

What I found today was by using the back edge of a razor (or any other blunt object) you can gently peel up the out edge of the colony. This base layer, or mat, is what adheres to rocks, albeit not so well. By working it very carefully (like removing a sticker) you can remove entire sheets of polyps, in tact.

There were no loose polyps, no spikes in pH, just a little patience and it worked wonders.:fun5:

badguitarist
08/10/2011, 12:26 AM
yep that is how I used to take frags of the mother colony when I was growing this coral.

Sula
08/10/2011, 05:37 AM
How well did frags of this sell? Just wondering as I have a bunch of it myself but have never invested the time (and tank space) to make frags of it.

badguitarist
08/10/2011, 11:31 PM
This is a tough question to answer, it really depends on your market. but to generalize it is a very good looking easy and quick to grow coral, making it ideal for new hobbyists so it should sell very well. Finding an outlet to sell them can be the hard part.