PDA

View Full Version : coppersafe with ozone: ok or bad?

allenho1
08/09/2011, 08:42 AM
Hi all. I am also posting this to the Newcomers forum. I am treating my 300-gallon FO tank with coppersafe due to what appears to be an Oodinium infection. I know that coppersafe is supposed to be ok with protein skimming and UV (both of which I use). My question is: is it ok to use ozone with coppersafe? I normally use ozone 3-4 hours a day to decolorize the water, and would appreciate any information the community has on possible interactions of ozone with coppersafe.

I have the following in the tank: two 4" hippo tangs, two 3" yellow tangs, 7" queen angel, 5" blueface angel, 6" foxface, and eight damsels. They have been living together for about 18 months. Parameters are: Ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate kept under 10 ppm by water changes.

Thanks in advance.

MrTuskfish
08/09/2011, 10:44 AM
I'd call the mfg of Coppersafe for advice; or turn it off. Keeping the proper level of copper in a DT isn't going to be easy; because of the copper that the LR & substrate absorbs from the water column. But it can be done.

cherubfish pair
08/12/2011, 04:48 PM
If you're running ozone, you should be filtering the ozone discharge water through carbon to denature hypobromate. So then if you're running the carbon and ozone, the carbon will prematurally adsorb the coppersafe.