PDA

View Full Version : Every invert dies when put into my tank (help!)

ScottSape
08/10/2011, 10:44 AM
Hello, I have a very confusing situation with my fish tank.

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank, 36 x 18 x 20? (I'm not sure about the height)
It has a live sand (2-3 inches deep) substrate, and about 100-120 pounds of live rock. There is a percula clown, bicolor angel, pink spot shrimp goby and an engineer goby. All of the fish are roughly 3 inches long, the clown is a little smaller. There is also one small hermit crab that has been in the tank for about two years.

My situation is this; every time I get a new invert and I add them to the tank they quickly die. I have had 2 cleaner shrimp, 4 peppermint shrimp and 4 mexican turbo snails all die. I did not try to add them all at the same time, I tried a few here and a few there. In between the first and second incident I did about a 50-60 percent water change -- same result (death).

All of the water levels are good: ph - 8.3, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 0, ammonia - 0, alkalinity is up around 300.

What is confusing is how all of these inverts die but the hermit crab keeps plugging away, don't get me wrong - I don't want that to die.

I have tried various ways to acclimate also; slow drip - very slow and took about 1-2 hours (this seemed to stress the shrimp out more than anything), float and add little amounts of water to the bag over about 20 - 30 minutes. None of it worked.

If you have any ideas please share them and thank you in advance with your help.

Scott

boatguy
08/10/2011, 10:48 AM
I would test for copper. You might have gotten it from LFS water with a fish and not known it was there. I am pretty new but I think you may be able to run carbon to get rid of it if that is what you have.

Bedroomgangsta
08/10/2011, 10:55 AM
I would test all of your params not only with what tests you have, but also a friends to make sure the different tests agree. What is your SG? What water have you been using? Do you already run carbon? Where did you get your LR from? Was it cured? Just another note as well, that engineer goby should never be in a tank that small. That thing will grow past 18" and keeping it in a 40B is probably going to be torture for it in the future, not to be the bearer of bad news but I would suggest finding it a new home.

BEASTIEPENDENT
08/12/2011, 10:53 AM
If copper would be the problem the hermit crab should be dead too. All Crustaceans are very sensitive for copper.

hello_there
08/13/2011, 05:50 PM
If you use tapwater that can contain various heavy metals that could be harmful to inverts. It is also more than possible that you didnt provide enoigh food for them and they starved.

saw wave analog
08/13/2011, 06:19 PM
Lots and lots and lots of water changes

capecoral
08/15/2011, 10:29 PM
Might be the changing salinity from big water changes or top offs.

Tin_Whistler
08/16/2011, 10:49 AM
What's the tanks salinity, and how long do you wait to do the waterchange after mixing up the new saltwater?

Jeremy Blaze
08/16/2011, 12:05 PM
Alk 300?