PDA

View Full Version : Equipment look over

Kiviro
08/10/2011, 01:36 PM
I'm looking to set up a 10 gallon aio tank sometime either next spring or summer and was hoping if someone could help me with my equipment choices. Also md is marinedepot.com.

10 gallon tank - Walmart

Coralife Digital Thermometer - MD

20 Inch 4x18 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 2 Lunar LEDs - MD

Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 240gph - MD

Aquarium Systems Premium Maxi-Jet 1100 Utility Pump 294 gph - MD

Oceanic BioCube Protein Skimmer - MD

ViaAqua 50 Watt Quartz Heater - MD

I already have substrate but, I was wondering what type of Live Rock should i put in it?

All help is greatly appreciated.

KafudaFish
08/10/2011, 01:57 PM
Save your money and buy at Christmas.

Deals were ok to good online last year.

Are you dead set on a 10 or would you be willing to do something in a 24 inch length?

You would have more choices for equipment etc.

What are you planning on keeping? That will influence what you need.

Kiviro
08/10/2011, 02:06 PM
I have limited space. I might be able to go to a 24 inch tank. I would like it to be an SPS dominant tank with some softies and a goby of some sort. It is going on my nightstand that is 34" by 19". What size would you recommend?

KafudaFish
08/10/2011, 02:34 PM
There is a sps nano thread within this forum showing what people have set up that would be a good place to start (it maybe in the sps forum though). Search for it and look through it and keep track of what tanks you like and go from there.

Look through the nTOTM threads too for a better idea.

You may see something you had not thought about that makes you go wow I want that.

See what equipment people use too. For example if you were doing sps as you said most would say MP10 powerhead vs. the others. This is much higher in cost than the other two but you would probably be happy to begin with vs. having to go and buy something else down the line.

Another thing to think about is budget. The hobby is expensive but buying everything you want/think you need may not mean success long term.

Operation/replacement costs are another.

4 T5 bulbs will run $80 per year to replace + 72 watts when on.

LED light $100 each that runs at 21 watts and does not need to be "replaced".

It is hard to recommend something to be honest but one dimension that is important regardless of tank size/style is the width of the tank.

If you find a tank that is 12 inches wide vs. 18 then the 18 is so much easier to scape.

It is a good thing that you are researching now vs. going out and buying today and then asking what you should do.

Kiviro
08/10/2011, 04:59 PM
ok cool. Will look at them and see what I want to do with this tank.

Kiviro
09/26/2011, 10:48 PM
My friend gave me a 20 gallon when she moved and I'm gonna use it. I've heard that if copper was used in a tank you cannot use it for a reef, is this true or will I be ok? I've also decided to go with a coralife skimmer. LED are not in the budget at the moment and I don't trust my electrician skills. I'd end up burning the house down and electrocuting everything twice...

discus510
09/27/2011, 05:44 PM
i would skip the coral life skimmer and find a euro reef rs80 or soemthing which is around 80-100 used a lot better skimmer

Kiviro
09/28/2011, 10:58 AM
Ok sweet. What if I built a skimmer, would that be alright?

discus510
09/28/2011, 01:46 PM
if ur plannin to build to save money u wouldnt be saving much cuz of the circle plexi u need to buy and also for tank i would go get a new 29 gallon which is 30 x 12 x 19 and if the 20 has been used with copper ill skip it and maybe use it as a quartine tank

Kiviro
09/28/2011, 01:55 PM
It was a saltwater tank before and as far as I know it has not had copper in it.

iFisch
09/28/2011, 10:50 PM
If your trying to stretch your budget, you may want to consider something from http://www.aquatraders.com/Default.asp - while it won't be high-end quality, it is still quality. I had the 18" MH in the past. Cannot beat it for $100 shipped. Buy a used MH in the color spectrum you want, and you're set. There's always people buying/selling MH bulbs.

They also sell T5's. While they don't have individualized reflectors like AquaticLife, Current USA Nova Extreme, ATI, etc. it isn't a terribly bad light for the money either.

Kiviro
09/28/2011, 11:17 PM
If your trying to stretch your budget, you may want to consider something from http://www.aquatraders.com/Default.asp - while it won't be high-end quality, it is still quality. I had the 18" MH in the past. Cannot beat it for $100 shipped. Buy a used MH in the color spectrum you want, and you're set. There's always people buying/selling MH bulbs.

They also sell T5's. While they don't have individualized reflectors like AquaticLife, Current USA Nova Extreme, ATI, etc. it isn't a terribly bad light for the money either.

Was just looking at this sight after you mentioned it. NEW FAVORITE SITE!!! This site can save me a ton. Not just on this 20 but on my 90, too.

iFisch
09/28/2011, 11:26 PM
Was just looking at this sight after you mentioned it. NEW FAVORITE SITE!!! This site can save me a ton. Not just on this 20 but on my 90, too.

Awesome!

The bulb "quality" isn't for everyone, but it's usually sufficient, color wise. If you order T5's, and you don't like the color, start by swapping out one bulb at a time, until you hit that desired spectrum.

If I were going T5, I'd order two, ATI bulbs for $20/piece (from MD), and call it a day. For $100 (24" 4x24w), you'd have a respectable fixture, that throws out a solid amount of light, capable for just about anything, assuming you have a normal height tank. Maybe swap out a "white" for a 14/15k "color" T5 bulb, and swap out a "blue" for something a little more purplish. That way, you'd have 10k, 14k, and a purplish, bluish combo.

Kiviro
09/28/2011, 11:40 PM
I was thinking about doing an MH instead. It would be a little overkill but i'd be able to grow anything...

Kiviro
09/29/2011, 05:18 PM
What does everybody else think about MH vs. T5?

Kiviro
10/01/2011, 10:15 PM
I'm thinking about doing a DIY LED kit from Aquariumstyleonline.com.
I'm thinking about going with the 32 bulb fixture. What do y'all think?