PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with lighting please :)

TanyaT
08/11/2011, 03:51 PM
I have done tons and tons of reading I swear I am on here 24/7 :spin2: So My tank is a 50gal 30 x 18x 24 I currently just have a marineland single bright led. Upon more reading on here I discovered it isn't enough lights for what I would like to get into(LPS's :inlove:) So I have a 4 bulb t5 and have a chance to get some discounted bulbs but an unsure of my decision after doing more reading.:spin1: The bulbs I was contemplating were 2 18,000k and 2 actnic. After the reading I read it was not enough So then I contemplated just getting 1 of each and then 2 of another light, but I am not sure what to get. I have read about wattage per gallon (some say no, some say yes) . So if I could get some ideas then I will figure out what to go with :confused: Thanks for any advice!!!

Oh and we are having someone build us a led system(to replace t5's) which will be a few months since he has a full time job as well. lol

LifeAquatic
08/11/2011, 05:21 PM
Hello,

18 k is a pretty blue spectrum of light. I actually prefer the blue look myself. LPS might do ok with the 18k lights but Im not sure how much PAR they put out. Generally the higher the color temp the less par the bulbs puts out. So 18k lights wont help out much with growth. If you do go 18k, use three 18k and 1 actinic.

I recently set up a LPS tank using a 4x54 watt system. I used three ATI aquablue special bulbs and one true 03 actinic. The aquablue special bulbs are closer to 15k and are less blue then an 18k bulb.

Any route you choose I would do three main bulbs with 1 supplement bulb.

The wattage per gallon rule is just a general rule. There are so many different size tanks now that its hard to apply watts per gallon as a factor.

TheFishTeen
08/11/2011, 05:43 PM
Since your tank is 24" tall lighting is going to have to be more intense. Since your tank is only 30" long 24 watt bulbs is what you are going to be using. 4 would be the minimum but 6 would be better to be on the safe side.

TanyaT
08/11/2011, 07:26 PM
Since your tank is 24" tall lighting is going to have to be more intense. Since your tank is only 30" long 24 watt bulbs is what you are going to be using. 4 would be the minimum but 6 would be better to be on the safe side.

So Then lights he has he thinks are 20 watt. So maybe I can go 2 of those, 1 actnic and get maybe an ati with the higher wattage? Thanks so much for your reply!!

Hello,

18 k is a pretty blue spectrum of light. I actually prefer the blue look myself. LPS might do ok with the 18k lights but Im not sure how much PAR they put out. Generally the higher the color temp the less par the bulbs puts out. So 18k lights wont help out much with growth. If you do go 18k, use three 18k and 1 actinic.

I recently set up a LPS tank using a 4x54 watt system. I used three ATI aquablue special bulbs and one true 03 actinic. The aquablue special bulbs are closer to 15k and are less blue then an 18k bulb.

Any route you choose I would do three main bulbs with 1 supplement bulb.

The wattage per gallon rule is just a general rule. There are so many different size tanks now that its hard to apply watts per gallon as a factor.

Thanks for your reply!!!

TanyaT
08/12/2011, 09:00 AM
Another question How many inches above the tank should I hang the light?

rtparty
08/12/2011, 10:20 AM
Hello,

Actually the bluer bulbs put out more PAR when it comes to T5's. The ATI Blue Plus is the highest PAR bulbs on the market right now according to Sanjay Joshi.

The Aquablue specials are some of the worst bulbs in my opinion and many, many others feel the same way. They are extremely white and wash colors out. A combo of ATI Blue plus and ATI Purple Plus is a great way to go. Growth and colors are great using these bulbs.

I am not sure what lights the OP has but it sounds like they are not High Output if they are 20 watt bulbs. Therefore, ATI will not work in this case.

TanyaT
08/12/2011, 09:25 PM
Ok an Update, I got 2- 18,000k 40w, 1-6,700k 32w and 1 actnic 40w. Do you think this is enough for corals? How far above the tank should we hang it? I was thinking 6" does that sound good?