PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Rocks and Red stuff

EDJFA
08/11/2011, 04:03 PM

A couple of pics so you know what I'm asking about. Two things:

First, any idea what the green fuzzy algea is? It's only on one the Live Rock in the tank, not the base rock that's being seeded.

Second, is the red leafy stuff a macro algae of some kind or is it a plant? I'm guessing it's a plant, but I'm a noob, so that just a guess based on how it grows.

Any help on what it is would be appreciated!!

4deepwater8
08/12/2011, 08:41 AM
IMO it looks like the start of hair algae. It will grow where the light is strongest first and then spread.

skabooya
08/16/2011, 11:34 PM
Its hard to tell but no it doesnt look like hair algae to me. It looks like your tank has diatoms however but i could be wrong, its difficult for me to tell. Do you have a CUC? what are your water paramaters?

EDJFA
08/18/2011, 12:46 PM
I did have a diatom bloom. A pretty good one. But it disappeared seemingly overnight. In reality it probably took a couple days for the snails to gobble them up. That pic was taken right after I added the snails, so there may still be some diatoms there.

CUC is really basic - 10 snails in a 55g. I've only got a couple of clownfish in there right now, so there's not much for a big CUC to do.

Just took some water to the LFS yesterday to have them check my paramaters:

PH - 7.8 (added buffer with a top off this AM)
SG - 1.023 (topped off with some saltwater instead of RO to slowly raise that number)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
KH/Alk - 10
Calcium - 360
Phosphate - .25

They said the phospate number wasn't bad since I didn't have any other reef creatures yet.