PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Help

NewbyReefer
08/11/2011, 04:37 PM
Trying to figure out what one or two fish might fill a 135 Gal. Don't like the bunch of small fish look. Like the look of larger fish that have full rome of the tank and have more of a personality. h

namxas
08/11/2011, 05:59 PM
That leaves a wide variety of fish. You'll want to decide if you want to go with predators, peaceful, aggressive, etc as well as which families of fish you like.

Personally, I'm a Scorpaeniforme nut, so my taste lies with lionfish, scorpionfish, stingfish, waspfish, etc.

NewbyReefer
08/11/2011, 10:47 PM
That leaves a wide variety of fish. You'll want to decide if you want to go with predators, peaceful, aggressive, etc as well as which families of fish you like.

Personally, I'm a Scorpaeniforme nut, so my taste lies with lionfish, scorpionfish, stingfish, waspfish, etc.

I've thought of getting Lionfish, But they seem to be such a generic fish anymore. I've seen very nice lion fish go for $30 around here because they have so many and they need to move them. I'm looking for a more active fish, not something that just sits, or hides all the time. Something that will come up to the glass and maybe feed it by hand. I was thinking of a tang and angel or trigger. The only problem is my tank is only 6ft long and most of the tangs I like need more swimming room(blue hippo, powder brown, powder blue) as far as triggers go I was thinking(niger, piccasso) or angels(Queen, Emporer). Not sure if any of these are compadable. I don't really want to get two of something(tang tang, trigger trigger, angel angel). I want 2 different types of fish.

AlexS95
08/11/2011, 10:50 PM
All of those are to big for a 135.

NewbyReefer
08/12/2011, 06:27 AM
All of those are to big for a 135.

So then the only thing would be small fish. I guess I could just do a invert tank.

jarrod13
08/12/2011, 09:05 AM
I think you could do a smaller trigger, blue throat, sargassum, Picasso, pink tail, maybe a Niger...

And a medium angel, majestic, rock beauty, regal...

Or even a wrasse such as green or yellow coris, harlequin tusk, bird wrasse, blue head. Wrasses are very active and constanly swimming

I also think there are a few tangs that would work, yellow, purple, tomini, kole, convict

HTH

MrTuskfish
08/12/2011, 09:24 AM
If they are the only two fish; a Australian harlequin tusk and a purple tang would be magnificent. An 8' tank would be better, but (IMO) just these two would be fine.

usatennisfan
08/12/2011, 10:17 AM
Depending on what else is in there you could do one of a few puffers. I have a toby in my 56 column that I hand feed.

namxas
08/12/2011, 10:25 AM
I've thought of getting Lionfish, But they seem to be such a generic fish anymore.

Anything but generic...we haven't updated since we moved, but you'll get the idea. Each pic is "clickable" and opens up additional content.

Our Gallery (http://www.lionfishlair.com/gregandreneegallery/galleryfront.shtml)

Something that will come up to the glass and maybe feed it by hand.

You've obviously never seen a lion recognize and greet "the food god":

Volitans Begging (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC6AqLondMY)

Juvie Dendrochirus Begging (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGaYyl-J5Q)

I'm not trying to change your mind, just correct your misinformation. Lionfish are active and out when properly housed with proper tankmates, and can be hand fed.

Hope you enjoyed the eye candy...

NewbyReefer
08/12/2011, 11:15 AM
Anything but generic...we haven't updated since we moved, but you'll get the idea. Each pic is "clickable" and opens up additional content.

Our Gallery (http://www.lionfishlair.com/gregandreneegallery/galleryfront.shtml)

You've obviously never seen a lion recognize and greet "the food god":

Volitans Begging (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC6AqLondMY)

Juvie Dendrochirus Begging (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGaYyl-J5Q)

I'm not trying to change your mind, just correct your misinformation. Lionfish are active and out when properly housed with proper tankmates, and can be hand fed.

Hope you enjoyed the eye candy...

By generic I mainly mean the Volitan, and Zebra Lions. Those are the only two I ever seen in my LFS. I know there are some realy nice looking ones out there, but in my area i've never seen them available. Also I had one for about a year once apon a time when I was just growing it out for a friend. Also isn't there tank mates limited due the the fact of them either eating others or their fins getting torn up? Another reason I'm not to keen on them is my young daughter likes to feed them and I don't want her getting stabbed by accident.

MrTuskfish
08/12/2011, 12:43 PM
IMO, not only are big, healthy adult Volitans one of the more unusual fish species; they are one of the most beautiful fish that swims. their finnage and colors are spectacular and they have more personality than 99% of the fish I can think of. They will always be the first fish noticed by visitors.

AlexS95
08/12/2011, 12:57 PM
I love my Lion [Just took this (http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu122/iTeeeeeeeeeeeeen/DSC01458.jpg)]. If I had more Tanks, I would set them up for Scorps, mainly because of namxas. :wavehand:

bigfish520
08/12/2011, 10:18 PM
A puffer and a Bird Wrasse, plenty of personality with those two.

NewbyReefer
08/13/2011, 10:41 AM
A puffer and a Bird Wrasse, plenty of personality with those two.

I thought most puffers get to big for my size tank.

bigfish520
08/13/2011, 07:03 PM
You should be fine, I kept a dogface in a 125g for over a year, he is in a bigger tank now but he doesnt use the space at all. IMO puffers grow slow and dont use much space, I feed mine a ton and it has grown maybe 30% since I got it. Its my favorite fish for sure, my Golden Arothron second. Puffers are great.

TitanTV
08/13/2011, 07:22 PM
Just get a Huma Huma trigger and a friend. I am finding that my Jewel Damsel seems like a great tankmate for my Titan trigger. The Jewel cleans up all the small bits that fly around and has enough attitude to hang with the Titan. I think you'd be very happy with a nice Huma Huma.

Or you could go freshwater and get a nice Midas :-)

MrTuskfish
08/14/2011, 09:28 AM
Just get a Huma Huma trigger and a friend. I am finding that my Jewel Damsel seems like a great tankmate for my Titan trigger. The Jewel cleans up all the small bits that fly around and has enough attitude to hang with the Titan. I think you'd be very happy with a nice Huma Huma.

Or you could go freshwater and get a nice Midas :-)

Taking bets on how the long the damsel lasts as the trigger grows?

Curious George
08/14/2011, 09:43 AM
I would do a Majestic Angel and a Redtail Trigger---maybe even a Snowflake Eel too.

NewbyReefer
08/14/2011, 11:42 AM
I would do a Majestic Angel and a Redtail Trigger---maybe even a Snowflake Eel too.

I've thought eels but I have a open top on the tank and don't want it to escape.

Irenicus
08/14/2011, 12:31 PM
Dog or Porc Puffer. Most personable fish I've seen.

NewbyReefer
08/14/2011, 01:03 PM
Can Puffers and Triggers mix or is that one of those big No No's.

NewbyReefer
08/14/2011, 01:18 PM
Also I have an GBTA would this have to be moved or will it be okay in there?

akdylpcikles
08/14/2011, 01:53 PM
Puffers and triggers would be fine. I would do a dogface puffer Picasso trigger and a snowflake eel. You can use large PVC as caves for the eels

NewbyReefer
08/14/2011, 02:03 PM
Puffers and triggers would be fine. I would do a dogface puffer Picasso trigger and a snowflake eel. You can use large PVC as caves for the eels

Are snowflake eels good escape artist or will it stay put?

kripas
08/14/2011, 02:57 PM
I have snow flake before for 2 years and never jump off my tank, have to give it away cause its too big now

NewbyReefer
08/14/2011, 03:59 PM
Should I go small and let them all grow out together or should 1 be larger than the rest?

akdylpcikles
08/14/2011, 04:42 PM
I don't think it matters really how big you get them. I would get a small snowflake medium dogface (6-7 inches) and a medium picasso trigger (4inches)

Curious George
08/14/2011, 05:56 PM
I would get them small and watch them grow. You save a couple bucks and it's more fun that way. The only fish that I would buy with some size on it would be a trigger though. They grow realllllly slowly. I would start with one 4-5 inches.

One other thing--I used to have it open top, but for 12 bucks, you can get egg crate from Home Depot and cut a nice top to fit your tank. I have it on my tanks. I have heard too many stories of losing a prized fish after years of keeping it. That has to be devistating. But for a little bit of cash and 20 minutes of your time, you can have a perfect fitting top, still have the openess, and keep a fish or eel from jumping to its doom.

NewbyReefer
08/14/2011, 08:45 PM
I'd have to move all my crustations that I want to keep out of there as well right? Like Hermits, Snails, Crabs, Urchins. Also won't HID lights melt the egg crate?

AlexS95
08/14/2011, 09:21 PM
It would stop a fish, but I wouldn't trust it with an eel. I have Urchins in my Aggressive tank will Puffers, Triggers, Eel, etc.

NewbyReefer
08/17/2011, 08:57 AM
So is there a specific order I should put them in? I know some fish they say should be the last fish in the tank. I was thinking Eel First followed by the Puffer and ending with the Trigger. Once again, Thanks for the help.