PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying this pair of clowns

donwilson
08/11/2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=128702

Is this a good price for these two?

usatennisfan
08/11/2011, 09:10 PM
I have no comment on price but it is going to be harder to get them to host because they are hybrids.

MJB1224
08/11/2011, 09:13 PM
I don't think the price is bad for them but it comes down to how much you like them. It's easy to spend $100+ on a pair of clowns anymore.

velvetelvis
08/11/2011, 10:20 PM
I have no comment on price but it is going to be harder to get them to host because they are hybrids.

I doubt this would be the case; there's no logical reason for it. There are known hybrid clownfishes in the wild, all of which are found living in anemones.

It's a myth that captive breeding dilutes or eliminates the hosting instinct in clownfish. A few generations--even a few decades--of captive breeding aren't going to eradicate instinctive behaviors that have evolved over millions of years. This doesn't mean that some clownfish won't adopt quirky hosts in captivity, but the very fact that they're even seeking out a host, however inappropriate (e.g., a cleaner magnet, or a patch of hair algae) indicates that the hosting instinct is intact.

phender
08/13/2011, 04:19 PM
Looks to me like the mouth/face on the smaller clown is really messed up in both pictures.

The mouth is open too much and the lower jaw protrudes out too far. I wouldn't buy them at any price.

elegance coral
08/13/2011, 04:57 PM

Where do you get this from? Do you have a link, or anything, that would support this statement?

It's a myth that captive breeding dilutes or eliminates the hosting instinct in clownfish. A few generations--even a few decades--of captive breeding aren't going to eradicate instinctive behaviors that have evolved over millions of years. This doesn't mean that some clownfish won't adopt quirky hosts in captivity, but the very fact that they're even seeking out a host, however inappropriate (e.g., a cleaner magnet, or a patch of hair algae) indicates that the hosting instinct is intact.

You can not drastically alter an animals environments, especially during the developmental stages of life, and expect it to have no impact on the animals behavior. It doesn't matter if we call that behavior "instinct" or not. This isn't something that takes generations or decades to take place. This can, and will, take place in one individule.

Looks to me like the mouth/face on the smaller clown is really messed up in both pictures.

The mouth is open too much and the lower jaw protrudes out too far. I wouldn't buy them at any price.

I have to agree with Phil on this. The little guy has some serious deformities. I'm actually kinda shocked that Sanjay would ship this fish to LA.:confused:

andrenym00
08/13/2011, 09:33 PM
I would get the DD domino clowns there beautiful.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=128923

LAKEM0NSTER
08/13/2011, 09:46 PM
I'd say that's a fair price for a pair. If I had a tank to put them in, I'd be tempted to buy them. Just name the one with the lip Bubba

If you've got one main display tank you're wanting to put them in, you might hold out for something that you know you really want!

WaffleWalffle22
08/13/2011, 10:46 PM

And how does this make a lick of sense?

A. percula and A. ocellaris share some of the same natural hosts. People get their ocellaris and perculas to hosts more common anemones in the hobby like bubble tips. If ocellaris and percula will accept an assortment of the same hosts, then how does a hybrid between the two... Oh nevermind. :deadhorse:

velvetelvis
08/14/2011, 05:29 PM
I have to agree with Phil on this. The little guy has some serious deformities. I'm actually kinda shocked that Sanjay would ship this fish to LA.:confused:

IIRC, didn't either the male or the female from the original pair die a while back? I think the new pairs coming up are the products of one of the original pair being bred back to hybrid offspring--could that be it, or is it probably just an injury that took place during development?

elegance coral
08/14/2011, 05:43 PM
IIRC, didn't either the male or the female from the original pair die a while back? I think the new pairs coming up are the products of one of the original pair being bred back to hybrid offspring--could that be it, or is it probably just an injury that took place during development?

As of right now, and as far as I know, it's still arguable as to what causes these deformities. Some people believe they're brought on my inbreeding. Others believe its poor water conditions, or inadequate food during development. I've even heard it suggested that poor diet of the parents plays a role. All I know for sure is that these deformities are becoming more and more common in captive bred clowns. It's almost impossible to find a Picasso that doesn't have a deformed skull.

RandyReefer
08/14/2011, 09:24 PM
Buy them, that's a pretty good price, my LFS sells for 220

---
- Current tank info: 22 gallon, with mated pair onyx percula clownfish

LouZ
08/15/2011, 05:19 AM
did you see these ???

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=127073

ovrboost
08/15/2011, 04:10 PM
those are beautiful, hopefully you bought them, cause i just went to the site and it said they were sold already.