PDA

View Full Version : LA lists wartskin angler as reef safe???

pmrossetti
08/12/2011, 02:12 AM
Not with caution, reef safe-yes

big mistake.

jarrod13
08/12/2011, 06:17 AM
Won't eat coral, hermits, snails

Will eat shrimp, and any fish that is 1.5x their size or smaller

Reef safe yes, reef fish safe no

tcmfish
08/12/2011, 08:50 AM
Um maybe because they are... Just not for everyone's reef.

Toddrtrex
08/12/2011, 09:21 AM
Part of the issue (( and I am not blaming LA )) is that everyone defines "reef safe" differently. Does it mean corals only? Inverts only? Does it mean it won't anything at all that is found on the reef?

In fact, I have grown to hate the term "reef safe" -- it is just too broad of a term, similar to "watts per gallon" for lights.

readmeli
08/12/2011, 09:44 AM
pmrosseti - can you show me where this is listed? I checked the site, both DD and other, and only found it as "With Caution".

We also have a page linked to on all quick stats which lists what we define all of the quick stats by. It is helpful sometimes to refer to: http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=489

Anyway, I'd like to make things correct, so let me know, thanks!

MrTuskfish
08/12/2011, 10:07 AM
Part of the issue (( and I am not blaming LA )) is that everyone defines "reef safe" differently. Does it mean corals only? Inverts only? Does it mean it won't anything at all that is found on the reef?

In fact, I have grown to hate the term "reef safe" -- it is just too broad of a term, similar to "watts per gallon" for lights.

I agree, you need to do a lot more research than just the little capsule of info that dealers provide. That's just a starting point, IMO. The L.A. response above is great, IMO, typical of their customer service. (Yeah a free plug, but I've known these folks since they were just
a 3 vet office. I'll never forget the great line Dr. Marty Smith had when he was about to "fix'' my Springer Spaniel, in about 1980. I'll send my customer number for my free stuff later.) There are so many variables to "reef safe"; I have some fish that won't eat coral, but will move all the LR. Are they reef safe? Who knows. Folks are always talking about "reef safe" triggers. A trigger that won't eat inverts, really? Ain't no such critter.

readmeli
08/12/2011, 10:56 AM
Love that store about Dr. Smith!! LOL...

BTW, we updated the angler to be with caution earlier this morning. Thank you for the valuable input so we can continue to update as needed!

elegance coral
08/12/2011, 11:40 AM
I honestly think the discription was correct to begin with. Sure, the angler will eat smaller fish that fit in its mouth. The same can be said for virtually any fish. Even tangs will eat other fish, if they're small enough to fit in their mouth. The angle isn't going to harm sessile invertebrates though. This is the only thing that separates a FOWLR from a reef. Sessile invertebrates. If the critter poses no threat to sessile invertebrates, then it's reef safe in my book.

tcmfish
08/12/2011, 12:08 PM
i honestly think the discription was correct to begin with. Sure, the angler will eat smaller fish that fit in its mouth. The same can be said for virtually any fish. Even tangs will eat other fish, if they're small enough to fit in their mouth. The angle isn't going to harm sessile invertebrates though. This is the only thing that separates a fowlr from a reef. Sessile invertebrates. If the critter poses no threat to sessile invertebrates, then it's reef safe in my book.

+1