PDA

View Full Version : icecap660

NanoReefWanabe
08/12/2011, 06:18 PM
i bought a an icecap660 with a 48" t5 retro setup...got i for 25 bucks with SLR reflectors...but the ballast doesnt work...does anyone know if there is a fuse that could be blown? and where one might find the fuse in the ballast? the guy said it was working one day the next nothing...so he hung his MH back over the tank and sold me the rest of the t5 setup..i would love to use this with my next tank i am building..and if the ballast is salvageable i will use it otherwise i will get an advance ballast...

thanks for the help...

OKAY....never mind all that ^^^^

new question...i have no paperwork or what not with the ballast...it is all wired already...but what is the four prong molex connector for? i have nothing to plug into that...

and second is there a way to bench test the ballast?
i have no bulbs yet...i suppose i could hit up a friend for some used bulbs...

NanoReefWanabe
08/12/2011, 06:28 PM
ooops could a mod move this to the lighting forum?

RocketEngineer
08/12/2011, 06:30 PM
The fuse is in the end opposite where the wire bundle connects behind a plastic plug that accepts a flat bladed screw driver. Its next to the four wire plug.

If the fuse isn't the problem, you can send them to CoralVue for a repair as they are fixing IC660s.

HTH,
RocketEngineer

NanoReefWanabe
08/12/2011, 06:31 PM
thankyou...i was just going to delete this post as i forgot to search first and found a tonne of answers on google.

NanoReefWanabe
08/12/2011, 07:24 PM
is there a way to bench test the ballast?
i have no bulbs yet...i suppose i could hit up a friend for some used bulbs...[/B]

i did take all the end caps apart one wire at a time and check them for corrosion etc, and fixed all the ends of the ones that were not right looking...(guy had stripped over an inch of wire for each connection, so i cut them all and redid them with about 3/8" of exposed wire) the jumper on the purple wire was actually done with 4 wire phone line...i pulled that out and redid it with a piece of the purple wire (made the harness 6" shorter)

that was the only real problem i saw with everything...the fuse was fine...i dont like how he just put a screw together plug end on the green white and black wires...i will switch that up for a molded plug and appropriate length of wire.

short of opening the case (which i am not going to do) is there anything else i can do?

disc1
08/13/2011, 10:25 AM
That ballast won't fire if it dosn't have bulbs. Even if one bulb has a bad connection, it will shut down. Could this be the problem?

ibefishy
08/13/2011, 12:56 PM
That ballast won't fire if it dosn't have bulbs. Even if one bulb has a bad connection, it will shut down. Could this be the problem?

+1, I had to track down a bad connection in my bulbs and endcaps for this very reason, once I figured it out they work great.

NanoReefWanabe
08/13/2011, 02:50 PM
thats what i am hoping i just dont have any bulbs to test it out with..time to call up some friends..