PDA

View Full Version : rimless 20g

B_Man
08/12/2011, 07:10 PM
I have a normal every day 20g tall tank that I got as a promo form my lfs. I was wondering if i took the black rim off of it what all would i need to do so it would not bust when I fill it up? I really enjoy the rimless look and was just wondering if its worth it to retro fit this one or if it would end up cheaper to buy one already made?

B_Man
08/13/2011, 03:07 PM
I guess I need to be more spacific. Will I need to add some kind of uro bracing or will the tank suport the wait on its own? If I need uro bracing how wide will I need it and how thick should it be?

Jon.Smolders
08/14/2011, 09:51 AM
I tore the trim off the top and the bottom of an old 15 gallon tank to make it rimless, and had it set up as a temporary tank for a few months... it seemed fine, even with the old silicone (it was at least a 10 year old tank). I'm guessing a new 20 would be ok too (I think a 20 uses thicker glass than a 15 too). Try it... take it outside and fill it up slowly and look for any bowing or stress on the glass or joints.

B_Man
08/23/2011, 08:24 PM
Does any one else have any input on this?

AcMonster
08/23/2011, 08:53 PM
A single Euro brace down the center of the tank would stop any bowing. Same thickness as the tank and siliconed on. But as the last post says,it can't hurt to try it outside. Especially if it's a free tank. Good luck.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

aj2494
08/24/2011, 08:05 PM
I would say brace it and don't risk ruining a very nice tank.

hebygb
08/25/2011, 08:14 AM
There is a big difference between testing a tank on your deck with a garden hose for a day/week/month and then having that tank sit above your hardwood floor with the vibration of a maxijet, a hang on filter, a hole drilled in the side, a vortec humming away. IMHO regardless of size, the glass of a mass produced tank and the silicone used to hold it means to not remove the trim. Even if the top edge of the glass looks good, adding a eurobrace pretty much defeats the desired effect on a small tank a cross brace would look worse.... again... IMHO