PDA

View Full Version : nano reef safe and non-reef safe fish

didz04
08/12/2011, 09:36 PM
Hi could you recommend fish that can be kept in nano tanks regardless of reef safe or not of upto 30 gallons (130lt) please. I'm looking to see what can be available. Instead of a huge list repeated can you just add to what hasn't been said please which will make it easier for me and possibly others who are interested to know.

thanks

ajn81
08/12/2011, 10:10 PM
ocellaris clownfish
clown goby
firefish
cardinalfish

Gill_bucket
08/12/2011, 10:28 PM
You could do seahorses or a frog fish.

didz04
08/13/2011, 03:55 PM
You could do seahorses or a frog fish.

frog fish very unusual creatures, interesting but never seen them in any of my lfs.

didz04
08/13/2011, 04:04 PM
ocellaris clownfish
clown goby
firefish
cardinalfish

Yep these are the common fish I have thought about. A brief info on my marine setup I have a watchman goby in there at the moment and approx 12-15kg of LR and it is a 30g.

However, I'm looking to go in any direction and willing to move on my watchman if I had to go for predatory fish only. I'm looking at something different instead of the common beginner fish route and the frogfish has got me interested so far.

If I were to stick with reef safe fish so far Ive seen some nice yellow stripe clingfish maybe have a trio of them. So keep the ideas comming and also I have thought about a seahorse tank.

saw wave analog
08/13/2011, 06:12 PM
Clowns live through everything and are about the coolest small fish you can get easily. Just avoid tomato clowns... super aggressive

didz04
08/13/2011, 09:38 PM
lol I just had a Tomato clownfish recently but gave her away. Your right though Im still considering a reef setup so I can keep a pair of ocellaris clownfish. I get asked when am I going to get one.

JaneG
08/13/2011, 09:43 PM
Hi could you recommend fish that can be kept in nano tanks regardless of reef safe or not of upto 30 gallons (130lt) please. I'm looking to see what can be available. Instead of a huge list repeated can you just add to what hasn't been said please which will make it easier for me and possibly others who are interested to know.

thanks
Most (not all) hawkfish are "not" reef safe in the sense that they attack hermits and snails. Tobies are as well and some dwarf angelfish. There are of course most filefish...you could also look into a pistol shrimp or a small octopus/cuttlefish. Those are some of the non-reef safe ones. As for reef safe nano fish, what are you looking for? Beautiful fish or fish with personality (or both)?

Stumped
08/13/2011, 11:24 PM
Here are a bunch to look through:

Nano Fish
(38 results)
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

didz04
08/14/2011, 01:35 PM
Out of the Pygmy angelfish I have researched on the cherub angelfish but seems if I want one I would have to add it last because of its aggressive behaviours. I didn't know toby puffers will be fine in a 30g which one are you talking about and can I keep them with anything? Octopus probably not as I wouldn't like them jumping out it will freak everyone out lol.

Thanks Stumped thats a great site. I'll have a good look through these.

I know I'm going one step behind here, but I really like puffers and the depending on if there is a toby puffer suitable or boxfish then I'll look into them, however, what about a green spotted puffer in a reef? I have seen a few that dont pick on corals or inverts but Im worried about the hermits and shrimps, would they be fine?

Lastly if I decided on small reef safe fish how many can I keep in a 30g?

SchmittyG
08/15/2011, 12:24 AM
What about a Royal Gramma? I too have a 29g Nano. I have two clowns but want to get at least one more fish and have been looking at Royal Grammas as a possibility...

chem-e
08/15/2011, 12:47 AM
I have a tail spot blenny, yellow watchman goby, flasher wrasse, and hector's goby. All get along great, but the yellow goby is a little territorial.

I'm thinking about adding one more small fish - a firefish goby.

didz04
08/16/2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks SchmittyG and chem-e :)

Ive decided to go with a reef tank as I like corals way too much lol. So can someone let me know if 5-6 small fish will be fine in a 30g? So I can make my final fish list, I will probably make a few tweaks in my list on the way, also does anyone know if it will be fine to keep a greenspot puffer?

Thanks guys for your responses.

thelizardkin
08/16/2011, 05:00 PM
not a fish but you can keep a mantis shrimp with coral

forddna
08/16/2011, 05:29 PM
If you want something unusual and uncommon, how about a seahorse tank??

forddna
08/16/2011, 05:37 PM
Did anybody say Chalk Bass?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-89514-Serranus-tortugaru.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/502/ChalkBass1.jpg

Also, if you want unique, instead of a plain ol clownfish, go for a Picasso or Showcasso (google doni's reef). My avatar is a Snowcasso.

chem-e
08/16/2011, 06:15 PM
Ive decided to go with a reef tank as I like corals way too much lol. So can someone let me know if 5-6 small fish will be fine in a 30g?

If you're looking for reef safe fishes, all the ones I mentioned will work for you. I have these in my mixed reef and they are great. I'll also throw out there cardinal fishes as these are nice additions as well.

didz04
08/16/2011, 10:03 PM
I'm definitely sticking with reef safe fish for this setup, maybe next setup I'll try a seahorse but I dont see my next tank being a mantis only. The chalk Bass is now officially on the list :) They are very simple looking but their colours stand out and especially them eyes, reminds of the Cephalopholis grouper family.

Ive thought about my fish wish list and I'm still researching if a green spot puffer will work in a reef and my main concern is with other invertebrates as I would like to keep a blood and an anemone shrimp. Ive kept smaller gsp and f8 in a freshwater setup and they did fine for so many months but I think my high nitrates got to them later, since I have moved into marines I have a much better understanding on nitrates and phosphates so would like to give one another go. Anyone give some feedback on it?

Thanks for your support.