PDA

View Full Version : Food Grade Barrel, Does it leach PO4.

InADream
08/13/2011, 11:52 AM
I recently got a 35 gallon barrel from a guy that says they were filled with syrup. I asked him how he cleaned them and he said that they were steamed.

I am rinsing the barrel now but is there any worry to the barrel leaching PO4, or any other bad chemical.

I just want to make sure before I go ahead and fill it with ro/di water..

Dan

hagar101
08/13/2011, 11:54 AM
Was the barrel cured in anyway? is it wood or plastic?

InADream
08/13/2011, 11:57 AM
It is a plastic white barrel. The guy said that the barrel is steamed and then dried out. I opened the barrel and it has a faint smell to it but nothing overwhelming. I am rinsing it out and then I will let it dry out before I fill it.

Dan

jeffesaurusrex
08/13/2011, 02:49 PM
I have a sort of similar concern... I have some white plastic 35g barrels with screw on caps available that I could use to transport water in... But they are shipping containers for RoundUp crop spray. I wonder if there's anything I could do to them to make them safe to transport my water. I washed one out and it just smells like plastic, no chemical smell. But there's no way I'm using it unless I know for sure it's safe. Could I have it steamed? Is there a cleaner I could use? Or are they just no good?

It would be great if I could "sterilize" these but if not I can just buy a container. I have to buy my water from the LFS because I'm afraid to use my well water, even through RO/DI. Not only does it smell of sulfer sometimes but I have flushed it with chlorine many times.

Ron Reefman
08/13/2011, 03:41 PM
Syrup barrel is OK, food grade = good
Roundup barrel... not so sure. I probably wouldn't use it. Not so much because it carried poison, but that it probably isn't food grade. As much as you've cleaned it, it may be OK for short term use (minutes rather than hours) but I wouldn't store fresh or saltwater in it.
Remember, I'm no expert... it's just my opinion! Good luck.

ktg113
08/13/2011, 04:22 PM
I did a vinegar rinse on mine that were 55 gallon soap barrels the guy I got them washed them out and the I put like 2 gallons of vinegar in and then filled up with fresh water and let it sit for like 30 mins dumped out rinsed out with hose and have not had a problem with them my tank sat in them for a week due to a week and I have used them to transport water and I also use one as a ato yes a 55 gallon ato is sweet. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk