PDA

View Full Version : Spectrapure CSPDI-90 RO/DI.. 42 PSI.. slow output?

KidFrost
08/13/2011, 12:02 PM
Just got my new spectrapure CSPDI-90 hooked up...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/b16egcp/2011-08-13_13-13-56_706.jpg

I am not positive I have it hooked up correctly.. The gauge reads 42 PSI which is in the "green" zone.. and the output seems slow to me...

Here is a quick diagram of my setup.. I Put a valve in the RO line and shut it off as i dont need RO only water..
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/b16egcp/Untitled.png

Are they slow when they are brand new..?
Does it look right..?

TIA

foxrazr
08/13/2011, 12:10 PM
is the yellow line blocked/closed by the valve. The yellow line is the waste water and water has to be wasted in order to make good water. So can't be obstructed. Good water comes through the blueline how you have it. Yes, to make good water it's a slow process to say the least. I leave my ro/di running throught the night to fill up a 32 gallon brute can. I have 42PSI of pressure as well.

KidFrost
08/13/2011, 12:14 PM
is the yellow line blocked/closed by the valve. The yellow line is the waste water and water has to be wasted in order to make good water. So can't be obstructed. Good water comes through the blueline how you have it. Yes, to make good water it's a slow process to say the least. I leave my ro/di running throught the night to fill up a 32 gallon brute can. I have 42PSI of pressure as well.

Yellow line is WASTE WATER? I had an ro/di before w/ no waste water output..?

I assumed it was RO water before it went to the DI cartridge...

mab349
08/13/2011, 12:21 PM
The yellow line is waste water before it goes through the RO membrane. It only goes through the carbon and sediment blocks.

KidFrost
08/13/2011, 12:48 PM
The yellow line is waste water before it goes through the RO membrane. It only goes through the carbon and sediment blocks.

So this should not be valved off?

mab349
08/13/2011, 12:52 PM
No, it's supposed to go down a drain or you can recycle it for plant use.

KStatefan
08/13/2011, 12:54 PM
So this should not be valved off?

No it should be open. You should get 4 gallons of waste water for every good gallon. I have never seen a RO system without wastewater.

KidFrost
08/13/2011, 01:20 PM
went down stairs and opened it up and within one minute my output in my blue RO line increased...

Thanks guys

foxrazr
08/13/2011, 01:29 PM
You are welcome. We are here to help.

Dr Colliebreath
08/13/2011, 01:34 PM
As you found out, the yellow line is waste water that is flushing your ro membrane. You should be getting 4 gallons of waste water per gallon of good rodi water (to flush the membrane properly).

I have 42 psi and my Spectrapure 90 (same as yours) gives 2-2 1/2 gallons per hour, not the 4 it is rated for. The rate of production is affected by pressure and temperature. You get 90 per day (4/hr) at 66 psi or so and 77 degrees. Lower psi or temperature drops output. You can get a booster pump to increase pressure and thus output. We may need the booster pump in the winter when the ground is colder.

Look at Spectrapure's instructions on running the system as they have some good information and are pretty responsive to calls.

jlanger
08/13/2011, 03:33 PM
Look at Spectrapure's instructions on running the system as they have some good information and are pretty responsive to calls.

+++ to following the instructions.

Make sure you do the "Measuring Waste to Product Water Ratio" procedure.
When I first set up my unit, it had a very low good product water output. I had thought it may be due to only having about 40psi from my water source. I called SpectraPure and asked if I needed a booster pump but they asked if I did the ratio procedure first. I followed the instructions and adjusted the flow restrictor and now it works very well now. And I didn't have to buy a booster pump!

-JASON